Search

Not over the hill yet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not over the hill yet

Ten couples in our late 40's looking for a vacation idea for next Feb/March. Have taken 6 cruises, and also two AI. One AI in Aruba, the other at the Moon Palace in Cancun. Loved both. Really done with Cruise life, feel like I am cattle lately, always waiting in some form of line. Looking for another AI with nice beaches, food and night life. Not really into loud disco's anymore, but can still keep up with the younger croud if need be. Looing to keep 7 days at around $3-4,000.00 inlcuding air from upsate New York.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I know you are looking fro a land-based AI, but I did want to mention a cruise alternative.

After one experience on Princess, I vowed never to cruise again. I found the same issues as you mention as well as mediocre food, tackiness everywhere (art auctions, bingo, entertainment), and having to pay for every little extra.

I have switched to Seabourn and am VERY happy. For about $1K more than $3-4K US, you would probably find one of the Seabourn 7 day Caribbean cruises out of Barbados just the ticket. Last year, prices for the lowest category guarantee were just under $2K per person. Everything is included with the exception of shore excursions, spa, and ship's photographer.

Might be worth checking out ? www.Seabourn.com

And don't worry about being in the 'lowest category' cabin - they are all the same, all generous in size with the exception being that some have tiny 'step-out' French balconies.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Every one probably thinks I'm the poster child for Windjammer Barefoot cruises but really after reading your comment about the herd of cattle I had to put my 2 cents in. (nor do I work for WJ)
That is one of the reasons I choose WJ. Very intimate largest ship I think holds 110-120? No lines for launch to shore. Visits out of the way places, islands the larger ships aren't able to visit. Best crew on all the ships.
And passengers are wonderful. everyone leaves thier baggage at home. Only time in life I actually see people from all walks of life, wealth or non, race and religions put aside differences and enjoy life with each other.
The trip would also fall within your money parameters. I like to sail on the Yankee Clipper in the Grenadines, airfare plus the cost of the cruise out of Pgh.,Pa. usually run me around $1500-1700 dependent on which time of yr I go. Summer and fall WJ may have some specials which will cut the cost a bit more. Cruise is from Sun. night stowaway sail Mon. return to port Sat am in time for early flights.Other options are also available. Since your plan is during high season and which cruise you might choose cost would probably be more like $1800-1900 still within your budget.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Vinceygirl: OKAY! OKAY! I'm really interested now. I think it's a fabulous idea for trishw and her friends. Something very adventurous and different everyday. I have seen the Windjammers anchored off of Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda, basically places big cruise ships cannot go. I am particularly interested in the southern Caribbean tours around the Grenadines and such. How young can children be on the ship? Badly phrased, but you know what I mean.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:19 AM

I agree with Vinceygirl - I love the small ships (Seabourn has about 180-200 pax) and its Caribbean stops include many ports where the behemoths just can't go (Bequia, Mayreau etc.).

I have met many folks on Windjammers and they are all having a ball although I've also heard that the food is erratic.

With 10 couples, you will probably have to book fairly early to be sure everyone has a cabin!

Check out the boards on the forums at www.cruisecritic.com. I am sure you will get lots of good info on both lines.

P.S. maybe soon someone will post with a rec for your ideal AI - but it won't be me as I prefer independent locally owned and non AI for land-based travel!

Tuxedocat, I don't know about children on Windjammer but I do know that Seabourn is geared to grown-ups. Children are not unwelcome, but there are no special programs for them.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana last summer. It's an adults only AI. Very nice beach, great pool, good food and service. You also might want to look into the Paradisus in Punta Cana or one of the Iberostar resorts there.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Tuxedocat, At various times of the yr although usually fall the Polynesia does a repo this yr will be from Aruba to St.Maarten. Mandalay is in the BVI's and will eventually head back to the Grenadines. The Yankee Clipper sails the Grenadines yr round. The Legacy has been sailing between Miami and Bahamas this summer. Not sure of the next destination. Amazing Grace is the M/V of the fleet.
Junior jammer program runs into August on the Poly, Legacy and Grace. No JJ program on the others but I know for a fact children do occasionally sail. Youngest age acceptable is 6. Official program is 6-17.
I have no children but took an 18 yr old niece 7 yrs ago she loved it. She is looking forward to taking her children when the youngest reaches 6.
We talk about it often.When she sailed 18 was youngest oldest was 81. She never felt left out and everyone accepted her although she is quite attractive and I'm sure easy on the eyes.
The food is good and wholesome, but not gourmet. If you want that eat at arestaurant when in port or sail a mega liner. Probably no worse than many of the AI and I'd be willing to bet better. Small kitchens that only have room for one-2 people probably won't include a sous? chef. Actually quite amazing what is presented from such small facility. Storage space is limited so nothing is ever wasted. I can tell you homemade sticky buns in am, and at times donuts muffins for 6am bloody marys breakfast follows around 7:30ish.Always fruit cold cereal for those that prefer to hot breakfast. At times fishermen may come along side with catch of the day at reasonable prices and the captain will buy right on the spot. I know for a fact one of the fisherman once upon a time did crew for WJ and went on to buy his own boat. Passengers can drop a line over the side of the ship and take their chances at fishing. If successful it will be cooked and shared among passengers at swizzle time. Nothing tastier. Pack a hook and line see what happens. Did you ever jump off the side of a ship? If conditions are right at the captain's discretion you can.
Getting back to children doesn't matter if there isn't any formal program available, there is still so much to see and do. The crew takes an active interest in children. Pretty much treated like royalty. The captain on the Clipper has children of his own who are occasionally on board. Difference between JJ program for summer and visiting otherwise is if no program you will be responsible for your children during the trip. JJ there are counselors who run the programs.
Accomodations are sparse,but very neat and clean. I'm only in my room to sleep, change clothes and daily constitution. So how much do you need?
No phone, TV, or radio unless you bring your own. Could bring the portable dvd player but I don't think your kids would really miss any of the electronics once on board. Sleeping under the stars is always an option. Grab your pillow blanket and a mat to sleep top deck. Stars are awesome and almost nil competition from artificial lighting.
Grenadines are my favorite. Less commercial, much more nature. I've been sailing 14 yrs, when time and money permit. Obviously not cheap but won't breakk the bank either. Could I afford a more expensive vacation Yes. Fortunately I'm financially comfortable and can pretty much go where I choose with a little planning. I prefer out of the way and off the beaten path. Best R&R I've ever had.
Check these websites for more info. www.jammerbabe.com and log onto the WJ Flotilla and WJ Fan Club. Any and all info you could want re: WJ cruises is posted. Cruise critic is ok but not nearly a 1/10 of the info you would find at the other site. Most WJ passengers are repeats. Once it's in your blood you will either love it and plan your return trip before you leave the ship or say been there done that and move on to your next adventure.
One thing I will tell you is if you need to get dressed up and sit down to formal dinners, constant sensory input from sources other than enjoying the company of good people and natures best show then you won't be happy on a WJ.
PS for the most part when on board ship most people really do go barefoot!!!!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the reply, but it appears mmost of you favor cruises, Windjammer, etc.

Unfortunately, one couple in my group is terrified of the water. She will wear an innertube in a 4 ft. pool. Don't think I 'll be able to convice her to try a cruise.
The cruise we took last year was ok, but like I stated, ready for a change. Found a web site for applecvacations that has given me some pause. Anyone ever use them?

Thanks again
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used Apple vacations for trips to Punta Cana, Mexico, and the Bahamas. They have always gone very well.
We used them to go to Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana last summer and have just booked with them for an AI in the Riviera Maya for this December.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Look into Sandals Whitehouse its beautiful, we were there last Feb for 2 weeks...We are in our 40's and have been to almost all of the Sandals properties. We go every year with 6 other couples. email me if you have any ?'s.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Kimberly

Thanks for the suggestion. Glad to hear from someone in my age group. Never to sure who is responding and every one has their own take on what is good. Please understand, I have taken quite a few cruises and have nothing agains them, but I must admit, AI offers you the luxury of getting up when you want and staying out as late as you want. I find cruising very constrictive.

The group I go with are all friends we have made over the years through our children and school sports. We always have a great time, sometimes my face hurts from laughing. So much fun to be a person and not a parent, you know? When my kids see some of our pics from past vacations I get the look of "oh Mom....how embarassing" and it just makes me laugh out loud. They think we are all old and ready to sit in a rocking chair on a beach somewhere. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. I will look into the Sandals Whitehouse ...

many thanks...
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Vinceygirl: Just want to thank you for the explicit info. I am definitely interested in Windjammer in the future. We have a 2 and 1/2 year old so it'll be either wait for her to get old enough or leave her with granny. Either way, it is definitely my kind of trip. As for the food, I'm the type to march into the galley and show them how Mahi Mahi is really done. So this sounds like my type of cruise. Besides, it sounds like the best way to see the southern Caribbean. Thanks for all your info.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Tuxedocat, glad to help out. As for showing the cook how to cook MahiMahi they would probably welcome the help.But most likely against the rules truthfully don't think the galley is large enough. It truly is amazing what those guys/girls turn out on a daily basis. often times fish is grilled.
It is one of the best ways to see the "real" Caribbean before it too becomes commercialized. Most of the Grenadines remains untouched. Mayreau only had electricity not all that many yrs ago. Kingstown on St.Vincent is a busy seaport but still old fashioned in many ways. Unfortunately Donald Trump has landed on Canouan and opened a resort. Now don't get me wrong I visit Donald a few times a yr in Atlantic City, and enjoy myself immensely but somehow almost seems a sacrilege to find him on a remote island in the southern Caribbean let alone my beloved Grenadines. The blessing is that because it is such an upscale resort,not easy to visit for most people I know and most couldn't or wouldn't afford it. any other questions feel free to ask.
Sandy