Search

Your resort suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
fio
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your resort suggestions

My wife and I are in the process of planning our vacation for late this year. Our most recent trip was to The Caves in Negril, and it was perfect!! We are looking for a similar vacation -- small resort (The Caves had I think 11 rooms), quiet/secluded, on the water, and all-inclusive -- on one of the other islands. Thanks!!!
D
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:38 AM

St.Lucia's LADERA, tho shuttle to beach, might provide similar vibe as The Caves. Haven't been there yet but Nick Trubetskoy's of Anse Chastenet has opening Jade Mountain, similar to
Ladera, if considerably pricier.
Horned Dorset Primaverra on PR's west coast at Rincon/Agadilla might also suit you well. All above are pretty much in same price range as The Caves, some a tad (or more) higher.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I am not familiar with The Caves but Guana Island in the British Virgin Islands is private - just the resort is on the island:

http://www.guana.com/

We went there on our honeymoon many years ago and would like to return.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM
fio
Original Poster

As much as Guana looks like it would be perfect, it might be a bit much (although if I can get decent flighs it might be a possibility. Ladera looks good -- def seems to have The Caves vipe. I am going to look at it further. Can anyone provide thoughts on if Petit St. Vincent, Palm Island or Peter Island would meet our wishes?
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:39 PM

This is an great report of several BVI resorts including Guana and Peter Island. I think scuba mom used to post on this board. You can also check the resorts out on tripadvisor.com.

http://www.scubamom.com/bvi/resorts/index.html

I have seen deals for Peter Island on www.luxurylink.com in the past. Have fun finding your spot!

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Petit St. Vincent is the most private/secluded. Super private cottages only steps from snorkeling beach.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
fio
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I will check out the links tonight. Trip advisor is great....The was one other name that I came across Firefly Hotel. There is one on Mustique, but I guess they also just opened one on Bequia. I cannot find any reviews on Bequia. Any feedback anyone has on either of those would be great too! Thanks!!!!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Hi fio,
We were at the caves in March and LOVED it too. I have been to both Peter Island and Petit St. Vincent, but not to stay. We stopped at both for some drinks and to hang out while sailing. They are both beautiful resorts. PSV is very secluded and a challenge to get to. Peter I is still on our list to go, but keeps falling as a few other resorts are popping up. We met a couple at the Caves who stayed at Palm Island and said it was amazing. I think it is a bit higher in price than the Caves. Some other options that are on our list are Maroma in Mexico, Ikal del Mar (now called The Tides) in Playa del Carmen (great little town), Friends returned from a honeymoon at Jumby Bay Antigua, which looks inticing as well as Hermitage Bay in Antigua (gets great reviews..25 rooms. I really like the casual feel of the Caves which I think may be hard to come by with the luxury. My husband would prefer to not wear pants at dinner when he is at the beach and its 90' out. We also like places that are not going to take us several layovers to get to as we usually only get about 4 nights away from the kids. Pink Sands (Island outposts Bahamas resort) looks great too.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:20 AM
fio
Original Poster

This is the 2nd time someone has mentioned Hermitage Bay in Antigua. Checked out the site and it looks nice. Can anyone that has stayed there provide anymore detail on it?
Thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Two of my favorite top notch "all-inlcusives" are, aside from Guana. Peter Island (do choose beachfront!) and Biras Creek (disadvantage is that the swimming beach is a walk, bike ride, or golf-cart ride away) all in the BVI. The other was Meridan Club in the TCI but they call it "barefoot elegance" and some folks might find it a bit sparce when it comes to luxury fixins. It certainly was the most quiet and secluded on a spectacular beach! We did not enjoy Petit St. Vincent and found it way overhyped and overpriced and the same for Maroma (which was not all-inclusive since we ate out more nites that in).
Just checked Hermitage Bay and blinked twice - the hillside is more expensive that beach cottages???? Think that's a first!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM

The owners of Firefly on Mustique have taken over the former Spring Hotel on Bequia. It might be a bit early for reviews yet.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Here's a second vote for Meridian Club.
Incredible beach, comfortable, but as noted by BP,a different kind of luxury.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:36 AM
fio
Original Poster

So, my wife has decided she likes Hermitage Bay, so that's where we are headed. Thank you everyone for your input!!!