Little Dix, Peter Island, Four Seasons @ Nevis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are having the hardest time deciding between these three spots-PI, LDB and FS @ Nevis for our honeymoon the first week in October. We want a nice, low key spot, with spa amenities, water activities, a beautiful beach with white sand and crystal clear water(does that rule out Nevis totally?) and good food. We also want meals, or some meals, to be included so that we dont have to worry about that after wedding bills, wedding bills, wedding bills! We also want a private, quiet romantic spot but not total seclusion--ideally like the option of visiting another island one day. I think a nice pool area is also a plus but we would most likely spend most our time on the beach. I also like the idea of private dinners on the beach/lunches on the beach, sunset cruises,couples messages, ect--typical honeymoon options I guess. Also-do either of these 3 offer beachside service for drinks/meals, ect? As you can see, I have a lot of requirements! Any suggestions would be so helpful!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Yes that does rule out Nevis. It is beautiful and I love the beaches, but you are describing the water at little dix or peter island (as well as others) the beaches on Nevis are not the bright white sand you see on some other islands. I do have to say that the FS is a wonderful resort and Nevis is a fantatic island.
Peter Island there would be fewer guests as it is smaller. They are both fantastic places with great spas, food, beaches, etc. Peter Island might be more private. However, they do get some day guests, but Oct. is low season. Either of these resorts would allow you to easily visit another island (Tortola, for example) PI resort is really the only thing on the island, little dix (virgin gorda) there are other places to go off the resort.
Honeymoon is always a tough one. I would pick little dix over peter is. only because I love Virgin Gorda. Not to confuse things but have you looked into Biras Creek? (VG also) it is fantastic
Make sure you eat at the Rock Cafe if you go to VG, fantastic lobster spaghetti!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM

We went to Peter Island for part of our honeymoon and loved it. If you click on my name you should be able to find my review and pictures. The spa there was awesome--best facial I have ever gotten. And we had a beachside dinner and it was great. Meals were included at PI, drinks were not. I think you have the option of getting a meal plan at Little Dix. We took a day trip to Virgin Gorda and loved the island and also visited Little Dix. We loved the Virgin Islands so much that we are going back in December--to St. John and to Little Dix. I can't wait.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM
owa

ens1978,
If you are looking at Peter Island, there is a package on LuxuryLink right now with bidding ending tomorrow. It is available until the end of October. We were there last September and almost had the whole island to ourselves. Absolutely beautiful spa. All meals are included in the package. I would advise travel ins. Good luck, and let us know what you decide. Owa

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM

We went to Peter Island end of September/beginning of October '04. There was barely anyone at the resort (maybe 5 other couples??) which was great. The only time we'd be reminded that we weren't the only ones at the resort were during meal times and when everyone gathered in the "tv room" to watch the presidential debate.
The weather was fantastic.
Click on my name and you will eventually find my trip report with photos.
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

We have not been to Nevis nor LDB so can't help you with those.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM

Peter Island is your best shot based on your requirements from our on 2 visits in Dec. 0'4 and 01'. But Biras Creek has all that, I am told and we are going in Dec., and the food is offerred with less buffets at lunch and some dinners at Peter Island are also buffet if you are there 6-7 days.
I assume you know that the hurricane season officially ends in early Nov. but most hurricanes after early Oct. are in the Western Caribbean not in the U.S. or British V.I.'s.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Our travel agent is now leaning us towards LDB....has anyone ever gotten the Romance Package there? Worth the cost? Strongly prefer cottages to the ocean view rooms??? Or is it not worth the price to upgrade to a cottage? Anyone stayed in the new Junior Rosewood Suites?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:08 PM

We honeymooned at LDB and it was amazing. The spa is the most stunning thing - we did a couples' massage with the windows open, up on the cliffside, sound of the ocean outside. GORGEOUS! There isn't a ton to do on Virgin Gorda besides the Baths but those are awesome. The main town is okay to shop around in too. I haven't been to Peter's Island or Nevis so can't comment on those. I believe we stayed in a beach front cottage and it was nice - I don't know what the regular rooms are like so I can't say if it's worth the extra money. The only bummer was that our room had a shower only, no tub. Oh well!

As far as meals go, we were not on any kind of package and it did get kind of old paying resort prices for every meal - esp. for the buffet, whoa! We found that we didn't save all that much $$ by cabbing into town and dining there, but we tried it anyway just for something different. We were there for 8 nights and it was just a day or 2 too long.

As far as I remember, there is no pool area except at the spa, which you can only use before or after a treatment, but the beach is beautiful. There is beachside service for drinks, not sure about meals. The resort feels very private, I think, although to throw another wrench in things, have you considered Caneel Bay on St. John? I actually preferred it over LDB, and you can ferry over to LDB for the spa and do day sails to see the Baths. It was MUCH more secluded and private - we practically had our own private beach, although that didn't include beachside drinks.

There are several day sail options and secluded beach picnics through tour companies and through the resort at LDB - we did the picnic on the beach and weren't all that crazy about it but it was okay. We did a day sail that went to 2 or 3 different snorkeling spots and that was really fun, we were the only 2 on the boat besides the crew.

Anyway, sorry this has turned into a novel! Feel free to ask me more questions if you need more info.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I have not be to any of the three resorts that you are considering but I have a friend that went to PI for her honeymoon in August after seriously considering Little Dix. She had the most wonderful time there and said that she was really happy with her choice. She didn't pick LDB because she read a lot of negative reviews that were pretty recent. One of the things that struck me about her feedback is that she said the food at PI was great; this means a lot coming from her because she is a major foodie and knows good food.

Someone else mentioned Luxury Link which had a great package going on for PI. I noticed that they also have a really good deal for Biras Creek, which also seems to have its fans. I copied and pasted it for you below, and perhaps that will pique your interest. Their website is good, too.

Biras Creek, Virgin Gorda, BVI's, $3250:

* 7 nights in a Garden Suite
Spacious suites are scattered throughout natually landscaped gardens.
* Roundtrip airport transfers by boat
* Bottle of champagne upon arrival
* Breakfast, lunch and dinner for two, each day during your stay
Diners sit at candlelit tables, looking out over the sunset, selecting from an award winning cuisine menu and an excellent selection of wines.
* Afternoon tea for two
* Complimentary non-motorized water toys - Hobie Cats, Sunfish, Lasers, windsurfers and sea kayaks. A water sports instructor is available for complimentary lessons.
* Complimentary bicycles
* Complimentary introductory scuba sessions are offered once a week. Lessons are held poolside followed by a shallow water dive.
* Complimentary guided snorkeling trips are offered several times a week with a fleet of Boston Whalers for the guests, each capable of taking up to three adults on exploratory trips around the protected waters of the Sound. Masks, fins and snorkel gear are available for guests to use during their stay
* Complimentary floodlit Omni tennis courts (two) are available for guest use. Reservations, balls and rackets to use during your stay are available from reception.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Little Dix has a wonderful pool area-- aside from the one connected to the spa. The much larger one is right off the beach. It's heated, which at first I thought was ridiculous in the Caribbean-- but we absolutely loved it.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:47 AM

I have been to LDB, Biras and Peter. I would recommend Peter Island over the other two. Less crowded, LBD allows children, better beach (Biras has my least favorite)and the views are spectacular. Peter offers couple massages, sunset cruises, dinner on the beach and everything else you would want for your honeymoon!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Liasager15 - what was it about Biras Creek that made it your least favorite? We are also trying to decide between Biras and Peter Island for June trip.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Biras has wonderful grounds to walk/run/hike on-- very very handsome views of the sea. The accommodations aren't special imo, plus the beach is far inferior to PI or LD. Also, from Biras, one has to take a little boat out to snorkel. At the others, snorkeling is right off the beach.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 04:36 AM

Atldad, don't get me wrong, Biras is a beautiful property but I prefer a long, lovely walking beach right outside my door! As you know, you ride your bike to the beach at Biras. The ocean floor is a bit murky and grassy compared to Peter. Peter is one of my favorite spots in the Caribbean and Palm Island in the Grenadines is a close second!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Ike

Fly to St. Thomas and take a small plane to LDB during the day. There were no lights at the A/P two years ago. Take LDB's boat to Caneel Bay after a few days and enjoy St. John then take the boat to St. Thomas and stay a few nights at The Ritz at St. Thomas then fly home. Have fun. Enjoy yourself.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:19 AM

A Four resort review including Biras, Peter Island, and LDB is at http://www.scubamom.com/bvi/resorts/index.html

Both Peter Island and Biras have meals (but not bar drinks) included. Food is excellent at both.

Peter Island has the best beaches of the three, Biras has the most private rooms (in cottages). LDB encourges families with children of all ages whereas Peter Island and Biras welcome children over 8.

All three are wonderful for different reasons.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I have only been to PI and LDB and agree with ScubaMom (who has a GREAT site) that they are different.

I would say I liked LDB a bit better as I found PI a bit seculded and although I thought the food was excellent, I think I like to explore some places beyond the resort.

PI is perfect if you just want to veg and never leave the resort...LDB is better if you want a little bit (but not too much) of exploration.

The beach at LDB is a tiny bit nicer than Deadman's (IMHO), but it was nice to have 2 beaches to choose from at PI and Deadman's is awesome, while the other beach is very nice, very secluded (only 2 other couples when I was there), but a little rocky. The water at LDB is a bit shallower and calmer.

The AI aspect at PI was of concern to me at first, but the food quality was excellent and I was always able to order off of a full menu. Staff at PI was more friendly (perhaps too much so?), but they saw the same people 3 meals a day for their entire stay. Staff at LDB were very professional in a West Indian sort of way.

Just pick one and you will be happy and then save the other for your next trip. Both are excellent, yet different.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

We have decided on Peter Island(99% sure). Thanks for all the feedback!