Search

young island

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
young island

We are planning our 35th wedding anniversary trip for April 2005. We are interested in the Young Island resort just off the coast of St Vincent in the Grenadines. Has anyone stayed in cottage #3? We like to hear the waves crashing as we sleep and are also interested in the superior class room unless there is a significant reason to upgrade. For those who have stayed there and talked about a private beach behind your cottage, what cottage number did you stay in?
Thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:16 PM

We got married on Young Island years ago. We stayed in cottage 8, which gave us a lot of privacy, and a huge patio where we enjoyed breakfast every morning. There were no crashing waves. The water was very calm. I long to go back.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 09:26 AM

We stayed at Young Island last December. We stayed in lucky #13, which was slightly up the hill behind and above the bar. That gave us very nice views across the channel.

The beachfront cottages are nice in that they are a short walk to the dining area, pool, beach, bar, etc. But I do not think that any of the cottages have a "private" beach. I think the beach used to wrap around the curve of the island more, and gave some of those cottages a more private area - but that patch of beach is no longer there. Now the water comes right up to the sea wall for those cottages (#9 and #10). Number 10 is very nice, however - large cottage, quiet, has a very nice private deck and small plunge pool.

The really fantastic cottages are 28, 29 and 30 - but be prepared for a HIKE to get there - up and down that hill! whew. But if you are up for that you will be greatly rewarded - they are wonderfully huge, with gigantic decks and spectacular views. Plus your butt & thighs might get a little toned depending how often you are up and down to your room.

be sure to do a day trip to the falls of Bailene, and stop on the way back at petit byahaut for a cold drink and a tour of the place. very cool. and don't miss Bequia!

enjoy your trip!
enjoy!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:55 AM

I stayed in cottage 5. I LOVED it! The waves may not crash, but you can definitely hear the surf. I loved lying in bed, listening to it! I loved being able to step out of my room onto my small patio onto the beach. The beach in front of your cottage may not be 'private', but most people use the chaises in the open area nearer the bar and restaurant, so it does feel like it's a semi-private beach. The beach rooms also have a small entrance patio on the pool/garden side of the cottage. Great location!

There are 4 different prices. I got to see 3 of the 4 categories when I was there. Most of the rooms are in the cheapest category. They are not large, but they aren't tiny either. The next price up (the one I didn't see) gives a bit more space, but I would rather be on the beach. The more expensive rooms are actually 2 rooms... a bed room and a sitting room. Unless you are planning to spend a lot of time IN the room, there's no reason to pay the extra money. The 2 or 3 most expensive rooms have plunge pools. The pools are very small, kind of a hot tub without the 'hot'.

The only room I would NOT recommend is #1. Everyone in the dining area can see into the room (day and night) when the blinds are open!

The hilltop rooms have fantastic views and very private decks, but they are a hike. If you forget anything, it's a long climb back.

I agree about the side trip to the Falls. It's great! One caveat. You can pay for the trip when you book it or you can charge the falls trip to your room. If you do the latter, they will charge an extra 'fee'... $5 (US), I think.

Also, if you are staying at least a week, you can trade 2 nights on land for 2 nights on your own sailboat (captain and cook included). I recommend it!!!!!!

YI is wonderful. The staff are VERY nice and very helpful. The food is worthy of a top Zagats rating (30). You will love the breads. I never eat bread (at home or on vacation), but I ate my weight in bread every day I was there.

A word about security. It is very safe, but do lock your cottage door. The beaches in the Grenadines are not private... YI is, but the sand/water are not. Therefore, people from St. V (either locals or visitors) can come across to use the beach. This is rare, but it does happen. Also, YI has security guards, who patrol near all the rooms (beach and hilltop) all night. I felt very safe.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

My wife and I stayed at Young Island last April. We stayed in a bungalow 100 steps up the hill. Our closest neighbor was 150 feet away from us. We were nestled in the lush rainforest. (without bugs and mosquitos.) We had a huge deck with very nice views of St. Vincent.
There were (2 or 3) bungalows above us higher on the property. They have outstanding views of the sea and of St. Vincent. (i think they come with private plunge pool.)

The island is lush and tropical (very little to no mosquitos.)

It has a beautiful pool, great beaches and no crowds. Exceelent food and very good service also.

The property is fantastic. (around) 30 bungalows on (around) 30 acres on a private island. what more can you ask for.