Young Couple week in Negril

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We are looking to visit a Caribbean island for our wedding anniversary. We have been to St. Kitts and Nevis. We are really open to anywhere with a pretty beach, nice hotel, and we like to experience the local culture, foods, shopping, nightlife, etc.

At a friends suggestion we have looked at Negril. After research I believe we would want to stay on 7 mile beach, but a lot of the hotels look old/run down? We don't need a fancy room, but we do like for it to be clean and new. Should we not be looking at Jamaica?

In St Kitts we stayed at the Marriot which was a new property and many of the hotels I have looked at in Punta Cana, DR and areas of Mexico look to be very nice/new properties as well. The hotels in Jamaica look to be much older and dated with reviews talking about bugs and broken AC units. I guess we should mention price, we'd like to spend around $3,000 on this trip if it's all inclusive w/ airfare, or plan to spend about that much on hotel/airfare/meals if its not AI but we are flexible on price. Traveling from Austin.

We have also looked at Grenada, St Lucia, Turks and Caicos, etc. Turks and St Lucia seem to be out of our price range.

Can you make recommendations around our price range? We are open to go anywhere!
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 01:12 PM

What are your dates? And how much is airfare from Austin? It would be hard to make recommendations without knowing the variables.

If you are looking for Marriott standards, you might be disappointed in Negril unless you stay at an AI or spend more money. But again, post back your information and I'll be happy to make some suggestions for you.

In the meantime, your $$ will probably go a lot farther in Mexico...
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

airfare from Austin will eat up about $1k of that. We will travel in May
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 02:46 AM

rockhousehotel.com is HM worthy in Negril sort of laid back rasta vibe. roundhill.com another good property. Jamaica is
an adventure destination dodgier vibe than many others. Might
look at briland.com runawayhill.com pinksandsresort.com for more privacy and romance. St John Westin or maho.org is also nice for price. Spirit.com AA.com cheap flights down.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 04:03 AM

Rockhouse is great: freestanding cottages with ladders leading down to the ocean, lovely restaurant, gorgeous views, but it's up on the cliff road and not on the beach.

For the beach, look at Idle Awhile and Charela Inn, which are two of the more upscale properties.
But again, not typical U.S. hotel type standards. So you've got be ready for that.

Most importantly, check weather stats for Jamaica before you book. May can be rainy!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 04:48 AM

You might also want to check some of the AI properties in Cancun and Riveria Maya. We have gone twice to Live Aqua in Cancun, which is really great for an AI. It's a beautiful couples-only hotel with seven pools, gorgeous uncrowded beachfront, nice rooms, spa, and more than edible food. I got it quite cheaply on Hotels.com last year in July, but check some other websites, too, like Bookit.com, and see what's offered if you're interested. No idea about May weather in Cancun ( we've only gone in January), so make sure you check all of that before you book.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
KVR

May is a great time to go. The prices and crowds should be low after Easter/Spring break. The weater should be fine. maybe a couple of showers here and there.

I have to agree the accomendations in Jamaica are lacking compared to the AI resorts in Mexico. You will definatly get way more for your money in Mexico.

For AI, look at Couples Negril or Sunset at the Palms. They are both on Bloody Bay and not 7 Mile Beach though.

We Statyed at the Jewel Dunn's River in Ocho Rios and loved it. It used to be a Sandals property, but they had re-done and lowered the price. Fab pools and beach. Good food. Close to shopping and activities, but I would hire a driver to take you around.

Unfortunatly, the better AI hotels are in Montego Bay, but Negril and Ocho Rios are better places to stay.

In the Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya area of Mexico look at the Royal Playa del Carmen, any of the Secrets or Iberostars.

We live in West Texas and have to fly to either DFW or IAH to get anywhere. We have been to St. Lucia and T & C. The air to St. Lucia is beyond ridiculous. We did do air and non-AI hotel to T & C for less than $3,000. However, we found the food, drinks and activities very pricey. We've been going to Mexico at least once a year over the past 10 years just because it is so convenient to get to and the prices are low. Tons of things to see and do also.

Another thought would be Barbados. We have chosen that Island for our vacation this year. Finding AI hotels to be about 2-3 times more than what I can get in Mexico and nothing lux about them. However, seems to be plently of culture,dining, shopping and nightlife and the opportunity for days trips to Grenada, St. Vincent and St. Lucia.