Negril or the Riveria Maya

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip for my girlfrind and I for 4 nights. I am looking at the Couples Negril Resort and the Secrets Maroma in the Riveria Maya. I have been to Cancun before and stayed at the Moon Palace. I was wondering if anyone had any input on either resort.

I am a little concerned about the duration of the drive from montego bay to negril.

Which place is more sceninc?

Which place has better food?

Thanks in advance for any input. I am open to any other resort suggestions in. We are traveling at the end of July
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
KVR

It's hard to say as both destinations are great in their own way. We've been to Negril once and the Cancun area 8 times, but not to the hotels you mentioned. We have a return trip planned for Ocho Rios next year.

What do you want to do on vacation?

Negril is more scenic as you have rivers, waterfalls, mountians, flora and fauna everywhere. The Mayan Riveria has cenotes, eco parks, and caves.

As far as food goes, it depends on the hotel. We liked the food better in Mexico, but we are from Texas and we eat Tex-Mex and Mexican food all the time and love it. We don't care for some of the traditional Caribbean fare. However, the jerk chicken in Jamaica is the best.

The drive from Montego Bay airport to Negril wasn't bad at all. Think of it as an included tour to get to see the area. We thought the same thing until we went. The only thing I didn't like about the drive getting there is it was a night so we couldn't see anything, but going back it was daylight and we enjoyed seeing everything. We're ready for the 2 hour ride to Ocho Rios.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Check Moon San Villa at the Blue Lagoon in Port Antonio Jamaica(www.moonsanvilla.com)

Penny
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Just returned from the Grand Palladium Rosort in Lucea Jamaica which is between Montego Bay and Negril. Negril is about 45 minutes from the airport. I didn't find the drive bad since the roads have greatly improved. I went for a wedding and saw many people how had changed their vacation site from Cancum to Jamaica due to the swine flu outbreak in Mexico.

It is hard to compare the two places (Cancun and Negril). I have been to both and had a great time both places. In Negril I stayed at the Grand Lido. There are many things to do in Jamaica. On this trip I went to Ricks Cafe to see the cliff divers and sunset and my Grandchildren and newphews jumped off the cliffs and swung from ropes into the water. After watching them I was ready for a couple of drinks. We went to Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville and parasailed and jetskied. They also have trampolines with slides in the ocean which were fun. Negril has great food and nightlife and numerous other activities.

Either way, both places are great!!! Enjoy your vacation and be careful of the Swine Flu if visiting Mexico.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Couples Negril.... is a very romantic resort and Negril is fun!
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM

If you go to couples, when are you going? I just posted a similar question for our trip Aug 26 - Sept 2. We are trying to decide between Couples Swept Away and Grand Lido Braco.
We have spent many hours reading reviews of many resorts and came up with these two. Not sure if you looked at Couples Swept Away but if you did, why did you rule it out? I believe it is also in Negril and I am not too sure what the differences are between it and Couples Negril
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 06:52 AM

as i recall the drive from cancun to maroma beach area is 30-45 mins.
for a look at all the to do's in mexico take a look at locogringo.com you'll find horseback, tennis/golf, ruins, shopping, cenotes & caves to explore, scuba/snorkel, zip-lines, fishing, sailing/kayaking, sian kaan tour, zip-line and 2 eco marine parks: xcaret & xel-ha.

here's a photo of the beach you'd be on: http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/160a-t.html