Windjammer Cruise will we like it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning on 7 nights in St Lucia staying at Ladera towards the end of November. Several posters have recommended the day trip to St Vincent and the Grenadines but at $240pp for the day it sounds rather expensive.

We are interested in seeing something of the Grenadines from the water and Windjammer has a repositioning cruise on Polynesia(5 nights)from Grenada to St Lucia sailing through the Grenadines, St Vincent and the Tobago Cayes. We would fly into Grenada (from SFO) cruise to St Lucia and fly home after 7 nights at Ladera.

Here's the issue...I don't think we're really cruise people (the thought of being on a hugh ship with thousands makes me very nervous!) but Windjammer looks quite different and rather low key. I can see the accomodation is basic but that's ok, particularly as we have Ladera to look forward to.

If you have taken a Windjammer cruise could you give us your opinion. To give you some idea about us we're relaxed people in our 30's and 40's and travel alot..Argentina,Brazil, India, Europe and Thailand in the last year. This is our first trip to the Carribean.

Thanks very much!
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:53 AM

I haven't done a Windjammer cruise myself, but have friends who have. Yes, it's much more low key than a typical cruise. There are also much less passengers and it is more casual.

However, it is my understanding that the Polynesia is more of the "party" ship. I have friends who have done the islands you have mentioned on the Windjammer vessel Yankee Clipper and said that it was more relaxed and had less partying going on than the Polynesia. So, you might want to look into the Yankee Clipper if you are seeking a more low key atmosphere.

You might also want to post your question on the cruise forum in order to get even more responses.
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:57 AM
cdt

I've heard the same thing about the Poly but I suspect a repo cruise might be somewhat less of a party scene than the standard itinerary out of St. Martin.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Hi,
I have been on a windjammer cruise. I really liked it. I had been on 2 carnival cruises prior to my windjammer cruise and I really liked windjammer better. If you like to meet people and make new friends you will like it. It 's more casual and friendly. You will know most everyone by the time your cruise ends. Windjammer also cruises into the smaller ports which I also liked better. The food was fine. Rooms were also small but they were fine. The ride itself is more fun because you actually feel the waves and rolls. Which I also like. Hope this helps.
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. I read in some of the previous posts that Polynesia was the more "party" oriented ship but I'm hoping the rounte and the one way nature of the itinerary will draw a different crowd.

I have posted this in the cruise section and hopeful someone there may have some more feedback.

We looked at the Yankee Clipper but the dates and route for this cruise work well for us and there's a great rate because it falls into the repositioning category.

Thanks again.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:51 AM

The problem with cruises is that you get such a limited amount of time in each location. I think that cruise would be better than a lot. I went on starclipper (royal clipper) last year, same type of deal. I am NOT a cruise person, it was tollerable because there were not too many people, but the atmosphere was just not for me.

Its a personal choice, but if you feel you are not a cruise person I do not think you would enjoy it much.

Maybe you can just go to St Lucia and pick 1 other place in the Grenadines to go to.

GL
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Hi Welltraveledbrit

I have the answers to your questions as I have been on several Windjammer cruises, including one on the Poly, and spent my honeymoon at Ladera a few years a go.

First about Windjammer Cruises. These are samll intimate cruises where not only do you get to know your fellow passengers but the crew as well. The cabins are small and you only spend time in them to sleep and shower. You only need to put on shoes when you go ashore You usually sail at night so spend most of the day at each island. Usuallay you drop anshor around 8:30ish and the captain ahs storytime telling you about the island, making sggestions etc. You depart around 11 pm at night so there is plenty of time on board. No assigned seating for dinner. As to the Poly's reputation. It does have the party ship reputation but when I sailed on her it was great and not what I consider a "party" atmosphere, but that was teh passenger makeup of my particular cruise. Now the music does play up on the top deck until very late in the evening. I would guess on a repo cruise it would be a quieter cruise. Keep in mind on the big cruise ships there are thousands of people on board but the Poly only holds 110 when full and she won't be full on a repo cruise.

Now Ladera is TO DIE FOR. What a paradise that reort is. I do have a trip report of my honeymoon along with pictures on my web site so if you would like to read the report and see the pictures just email me at [email protected].

My husband and I are planning another Windjammer cruise next year along with a stay at Ladera. We may very well do what you are doing this fall.

Fee free to ask me any questions.

Kay