Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Rawlins Plantation - Change of Ownership: PLEASE REPLY

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After researching St. Kitts thorougly ( I have been to Nevis twice) I decided to book a vacation at
Rawlins Plantation (based on the reputation of
the long time owners, Clare and Paul Rawson).
Upon sending an e-mail request, I was informed that the Rawsons have sold the property to Kevin Horstwood and Zai Karim Mohammed. Since the
reputation of Rawlins rested heavily with Clare and Paul (especially Clare, who was responsible for the inn's meals), I am reluctant to book with
unknown new owners, especially in a transition period. Is there anyone out there (particularly someone who may be a St. Kitts resident) who can give me some information about the change
of ownership and whether I should book now or
wait for some reviews of the new situation. Please reply as I really was looking forward to a
nice bit of R & R in a very peaceful environment.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:53 AM
cw

Hi Boonie,

We stayed at Rawlins a few weeks ago. It was our 10th visit in 15 years. We knew of the change in ownership before we went and the new owners had been there about six weeks.

In that transition period most things were the same. The staff has carried on in the tradition of Claire and Paul Rawson.

I do know the new owners are planning changes. You don't say when you are thinking of going, but you might want to ask some specific questions of the new owners before you go.

Rawlins is in one of the most beautiful locations in the Caribbean and nothing can change that. But we did notice differences, a different ambience, changes in the food. That's all to be expected unpon the Rawson's departure. Different is not necessarily bad, it's just different.

We will see what develops over the next year and decide then whether to return. We were thinking we might like to try Nevis next. We love St. Kitts and have been to Nevis a few times. Where do you stay in Nevis?

cw
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cw! Your reply was most helpful.
I have been communicating with the management at Rawlins about the changes.
I am told the cottages will be renovated
over the Aug. - Oct. closing period. Am also
told that recent guests say food is still good.
Given management's immediate responses
to my questions/concerns, I will probably
go in Dec. as planned. My only regret is not
having had the opportunity to stay at Rawlins during the Rawson's tenure. You mentioned that you will take a "wait and see"
approach - any additional info that I should know about?

Now, on to your Nevis question. I have stayed both at Nisbet Plantation (twice) and Golden Rock. While I know that many posters have enjoyed Golden Rock, my experience was not as positive as theirs (I was not that impressed with food, service or ambience). For a plantation inn experience (which is what you probably would want given your many visits to Rawlins in St. Kitts) my belief given other reviews and personal conversations with other Nevis visitors is that Montpelier might be a better choice (e.g. more elegant food, decor, etc.) than Golden Rock. Be advised, however, that Montpelier is slightly more expensive than Golden Rock. That being said, I really also
like Nisbet. It is on an excellent beach (as
opposed to being a distance from town and the coast), and actually was a plantation as
well, although the only really vestige of those days is the wonderful Great House,
where evening meals are generally served. The food there is outstanding. Hope this helps, and thanks again for your input.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

cw: I posted a reply to your question,
but when I clicked "post my reply" it did not turn up. Hope by entering this message it will show up on the thread.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:59 AM
cw

Boonie,

Thanks for your Nevis information. Yes, we are looking for a plantation inn experience on Nevis. We had lunch at the Golden Rock a few years ago, and visited Montpelier. The Hermitage has been recommended to us. So, yes, we are taking a wait and see attidude.

We love Claire and Paul Rawson and without them, Rawlins is not quite the same. Claire was an experienced chef, and Paul had worked for many years in hotel/restaurant management. They knew what you needed and wanted before you did, and were excellent in facilitating interactions among their guests. And without Claire's oversight in the kitchen, the food is still good but not divine. That may change as well as new menus are devised and a new identity is established. But we might take the opportunity to try some place new.

Zai is a very nice woman, who is very interested in maintaining and improving Rawlins. She and the staff were most helpful to us when we needed anything. And Rawlins is really the only plantation in on St. Kitts that seems right for us.

I believe that they are hoping to add some cottages to the property so it would be important to know if there will be building going on while you're there. As we all know, projects can take longer on "island time."

We will keep in touch with friends on St. Kitts and see what happens. As you can see, we are torn over this, but consider ourselved lucky to have found our "perfect" place for so many years.

CW

Old May 25th, 2005, 11:03 AM

If you visit www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com you will find lots of valuable information on St. Kitts & Nevis.

Amicia the forum moderator lives in St. Kitts and can help you with questions, etc.