White sands negril vs. Idle Awhile

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- Everyone here seems to know a lot about Idle Awhile-thanks for all your suggestions. I'm looking to decrease my budget for my 1 week trip. I'm considering Treehouse and White Sands, which would save us about $4-600 alltogether. Can anyone can comment on their experience at White sands? It's inexpensive--so are the rooms really basic? I like that it has a pool. Treehouse also does. I'd appreciate any comments on the beach area, restaurant, the rooms, the pool, the management/staff, security, and the overall condition of White sands. If anyone has been to Treehouse also and can give a comparison, even better. Thanks in advance for your comments!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I think Treehouse has more charm than White Sands, I think the beach area is nicer at WS - only because it is further down and so closer to restaurants and such, and the beach is very wide there.

However WS is fine, just basic.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:50 AM

When we were in Negril, there was very little beach left at Treehouse - maybe that has changed. I love the location of White Sands but it is very basic. I don't think you can compare it to Idle Awhile. It would be fine for me because I don't spend much time in the room. I also really like Coco Lapalm - somewhere in between WS and IA pricewise, with a pool. The ocean there is like a big pool though and very few people use the pools.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM

A recent pic of Treehouses's bar (you recall it was sand on one side, water in the other) shows a good 10-15 feet of sand BEYOND the sea side of hte bar.

So it is coming back up there.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Just finished 11 days at the White Sands and it represents very good value. We had a deluxe room which was spacious and our friends had a standard which was not. But for the price ($90.00 deluxe, $60.00 standard) and being on the beach side who could complain. If the pool interests you, it is on the other side of the road where half the hotel rooms are. All in all though I'd give it a thumbs up.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Glad to hear the beach is coming back - that would move Treehouse higher on my list but I still prefer the location of White Sands, Coco, Idle Awhile.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:01 AM

I had a bad experience at the white sands in last year in the off season. The room was small and there was a significant layer of dust on everything. Worst thing is when the wife was showering one night, a peeping tom was trying to look in the bathroom window at her. He even had the nerve to say "Hello Pretty lady". He was gone before I could get my hands around his neck. The staff was very apologetic later on, but the manager/owner acted like nothing ever happened, although he did shake my hand. We checked out the next day and stayed at the Rockhouse. It was splendid and turned the vacation around completely! Spend the extra money. Its worth it!