white sand and crystal clear water

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Jane

white sand and crystal clear water

Looking for opinions for a 20 year anniversary trip. Originally was thinking of a trip to Hawaii, but really what we want is white sand beaches and crystal clear water wherever that may be - Anguilla? Aruba?St. John? Turks & Caicos?. Thinking perhaps the Caribbean would be a better value and shorter plane trip (from Ohio). We are on a budget, but do like deluxe accommodations. What island might be just what we're looking for? Thank you all.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:00 AM
cdt

Aruba definitely did NOT have crystal clear water when we were there. Lots of nice white sand, though.

We found much clearer water, but smaller beaches, throughout the Virgin Islands (US and British). St. John is beautiful but Caneel Bay is the only hotel on a good beach. You may want to look at Virgin Gorda.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Howard

Have been to Anguilla and Providenciales (Provo) in the Turks and Caicos 12 times each. Stay at the Frangipani on Anguilla and the last 7 times Coral Gardens on Provo. Spent our 40th anniversary there a year ago. Provo might be cheaper from Ohio. Understand US Airways will start to fly to Provo from Charlotte N.C. in Nov. Go to
www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com and click on Turks and Caicos and reviews. I have a review of Coral Gardens along with restaurant recommendations on that site. If you click on Anguilla and reviews there is a review of Frangipani. Feel free to E-mail me with questions

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:05 PM
d motl

Check out isla-mujeres.net
Great water and beaches--rock bottum prices and located only 10 miles from Cancun which always has good air prices.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:25 AM
brad

Hi,
my fiancee and I just got back from eleuthera in the bahamas. It was just perfect. Quiet, secluded white and pink sand beaches. We stayed at The Cove. Nice small place not too fancy but comfortable. If you go make sure to rent a decent 4 wheel drive jeep to get to the great beaches which are some of the most beautiful and dramatic i have ever seen.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Gina

Another vote for Provo. Stayed at Coral Sands in August 2001. If too expensive, perhaps try Seagate -- located right behind Coral Gardens, but a little cheaper. Nice accomodations.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Cissy

I'm with Howard and Gina. Anguilla or Turks (Provo). You can't go wrong. Turks a little easier to get to.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Bud

Howard, What did you think of the Coral Gardens? On same level as Cap Juluca or Cusinart in Anguilla?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Penney

Another vote for Provo. and Coral Gardens - toured the grounds and meet with the owner and the place is lovely.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Jane

Thanks so much for your replies. My thoughts are also turning toward Mexico.
Villa Rolandi looks fabulous!!!!!! www.villarolandi.com

Will continue to research everyone's recommendations!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:47 AM
mary

Jane: You're absolutely right. It does look fabulous! Please give us a trip report when you get back. When are you looking to go?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Jane

Mary, We have no definite time or place for this vacation yet. I'm thinking of the trip being sometime in the next year. Have not decided on any specifics so far.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Kat

Anguilla! Exquisite beaches, wonderfully clear water. Sigh.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Holly

Turks & Caicos! Went to Provo last December. The beaches were unlike anything I've seen before. Stayed at the Allegro which has a beautiful beach in front of it. Got a car one day and traveled the whole island, found a secluded beach. I'm Getting married in St. John in Sept...I hear it's beautiful there too. Then going to Caymans in December for the beautiful carribean water again. There's really no going wrong! Someone said something about Eleuthera...that is a beautiful island as well.