Search

Turks or Anguilla

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turks or Anguilla

I have been to the caribbean a few times, but never to these two spots. My favorite is St John, because of the diversity...which means pretty good quality EVERYTHING. Good beaches, snorkeling, restaurants, people, landscape, etc.

My wife and I love the beaches, and turquoise clear water. I hear that these two islands offer that, and in some opinions more. If you use my reasons for liking St John as a guide, which island would I prefer between Turks and Anguilla?

We are looking to travel between mid February and early April. We can afford to spend in the range of 4-$500 per night. I am looking for suggestions there too. We will be spending a full week.

Any help would be appreciated
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Sunnyboy

When you say "Turks" I am assuming you mean the Grace Bay arera on Providenciales (Provo). If so, the overall experience on Anguilla is head and shoulders above what you'd find on Provo (or anyplace else in the Turks & Caicos, for that matter). The beaches on Anguilla are better, there are more and better restaurants, the snorkeling is better (but not as good as you found on St. John) and the people are friendlier. You will, however, find that the "landscape" on both Anguilla and Provo to be rather lacking when compared to St. John. Both of these islands are relatively flat and featureless. They are arid, scrubby and have little natural vegetation. What little landscaping you do find is all "man-made" and is pretty well confined to the plantings around the major resorts. There is very little natural shade along any of the beaches on either island.

You should have no trouble finding accomodations in your price range on Anguilla if you avoid places like the ultra expensive Altamer or the upscale resorts of Cap Juluca, Cusinart and Mallihouana. or starters check out Madeariman Hotel, Rendezvous Bay Hotel, Anguilla Great House, Shoal Bay Hotel, Carimar Beach Club, La Sierena Hotel, and Arawak Beach Inn.

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:24 AM

I have been both and have to second Sunnyboy's recommendation of Anguilla over Provo. We stayed at CuisanArt and would definitely go back.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM

I would also agree with the previous posts. However, Provo (Grace Bay) is wonderful, so you can't go wrong at either location.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:45 AM

I agree with sunnyboy that Anguilla is great, one of my favorites in Caribbean.

I agree people are nicer, and restaurants are the best in the Caribbean, BUT

snorkeling is not good in Anguilla, far superior in Turks. And the beaches in Turks (Provo) are equal if not better than Anguilla's.

Anguilla is great for couples, Provo better for children. There is more construction in Provo, but Anguilla is starting too. No shopping at all in Anguilla, have to day trip to St. Martin for that. A little shopping in Provo, definately more than Anguilla.

Landscape is same in both, scrubby, dry flat islands, it's all about the beach.

The water is a little bit clearer in general in Provo, the color of water a little more glow to it, but they are close.

The snorkeling in Anguilla is average at best, excellent in Provo.

Don't get me wrong. Anguilla is one of my favorites, but I can't say it's better or worse than Provo. Anguilla is more expensive (Provo is expensive too, just not as much) Anguilla is a little quieter, people a little nicer, restaurants a little nicer. Snorkeling a litle nicer in Provo, beaches just a little nicer. Provo has cays for private beach day trips. Anguilla has St. Barts and St. Martin for shopping , diversity and different landscape as day trips.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 02:59 PM
owa

brutus14, Just last week we found an island that is a "repeat" for us (St. John is a repeat). Vieques. We had no idea the beaches were so beautiful. And some totally void of another human for as far as we could see. Green beach was the best snorkeling we have had anywhere (Bonaire is next year). The fans were in fantastic shape--the best we have seen in the Caribbean. My husband and I discussed the problems with suggesting a snorkeling site because it can be a totally different experience on another day, another month and another year. We climbed out of the water after four hours just looking at each other and shaking our heads. We agreed it was an experience we will share as we are dying. It was that memorable. Owa

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 05:37 AM

We have been to both over 20 times and love both islands. You have gotten good advice above. Snorkeling is beter on Provo. restaurants better on Anguilla but Provo a close second. Grace bay beach is awesome. Most resorts go to off season rates in April so it would be cheaper. You might look at KU' on Anguilla. (Old Shoal Bay Beach Hotel) Rates run $160 to $200/night starting April 1ST. All units have kitchens. On Provo check out Sibonne--www.sibonne.com. They have a one bedroon apartment that starts at about $300. Also might check out www.villaoasis.com. Short walk to the reef at Coral Gardens to snorkel off the beach. www.wherewhenhow.com the on line amgazine of the Turks and Caicos is a good resource for Provo info. Also Check www.anguillaguide.com