Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which would you choose--Cap Juluca, Parrot Cay, or Jumby Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been to all three and are trying to decide which to return to. (I'm trying to plan hubby's 50th, we were considering French Polynesia/Fiji, but probably don't have enough time) We usually like to try new places, but this time think it would be nice for a return visit. Has anyone actually been to all 3 for comparision? Each resorts holds such happy memories, of course, getting to stay in their rooms with a private pool or plunge pool didn't hurt either! Pure luxury!!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

After posting this, I realized how redundant this question is. I hope to hear from folks who have actually stayed at these properties...so we could share and compare our experiences. Which one would you return to if it was the only place you could go.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM

PARROT CAY is my #1
Then Cap Juluca.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

To AnnSm: Thank you for your input. Which room did you stay in at PC? We stayed in one of their 1st beach villas (w/o private pool). I think since then they have added additional villas. While we were at Cap Juluca we loved the privacy of our villa with private pool. Do you know if one can get that kind of seclusion at PC?
Also, if I may ask, what do you like the most about PC?
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Sorry I'm late to this posting--but we LOVED JB. We were lucky to have stayed in one of the Harbor Hill Villas. Pure luxury!! We are planning a return trip there this Fall. Have never stayed at the others, but we have tried Horned Dorset Primavera in Puerto Rico, Casa que Canta in Mexico, Round Hill, etc...
JB is our absolute Fave. Obviously, we love privacy with the plunge pools. We are hoping to book the jumby bay suite for the fall. Do you know if they are private?
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

To futuresly: Please tell me more about the Harbour villa. Exactly where is it located? How was the decor? The JB suites are wonderful; they were just completed about a year ago. The bath and outdoor shower is amazing. Although,it does have an pludge pool, it is not private. There is a nice hedge around it, but it just hasn't grown tall enough to give the privacy I wish it had. But, I would still prefer this room over the others because of the newness. You might like to read another post I wrote regarding JB: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...name=katiekate
If you're really want privacy, you might check out Cap Juluca's villas with private pools. To die for!! If you have other questions, let me know.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:01 AM

The Harbour Hill villa was the first one on the right as you entered the hill area. Sorry-don't remember the number. It looked exactly like the photos on the website--two bedrooms-huge living area, dining room, kitchen--but the plunge pool was the best part. Very large. The villas are on the other side of the island from the main beach, so the water is very calm. We watched all the workers coming and going by boat everyday. Saw sheep and goats roaming wild near the villa. The pool area was surrounded by beautiful plantings and relatively private. There was a family with two small kids next door--we barely knew they were there.
Loved having our own golf cart--easier to get around. We even had a private dinner in our villa one night-quite romantic!
Decor was lovely-not to stuffy or "overly tropical" -lots of teak furniture-fabrics mostly monochromatic-beiges,tans and whites. Bed was beautiful 4 poster-bathroom great with outdoor showers. We returned every night to the sounds of music on the cd player,soft lighting, and a wonderful orchid scented candle. Fridge was kept stocked everyday with waters, sodas, and Wadadli(?)beer. We convinced one of the bartenders to deliver bottles of the house wine to our room to have at our leisure. Much easier for them-not to have to keep bringing glasses all the way to the villa.
Obviously, we loved it. Hardly ever left our room while we were there. Didn't need to. Wish we could afford one of these vilas again--but alas, we will always have the memories...
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:04 AM

katiekate-Just went on Jumbybayresort.com--when you click on the photos of the villas--our pool area, kitchen, bedrooms all looked just like that. Living room basically the same--fabric on pillows was a little more subtle. Otherwise--Villas look just as pictured! Hope this helps
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the details. I remember seeing the villas when we arrived because there was a lot of construction going on. I believe they are completed now. When were you there?
I'm trying to email them now to check availablity. JB suties were not avail. for the dates we needed.
Staying in a room with such privacy sure spoils a person, doesn't it?!!!
(takes how we felt at Cap Juluca)
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Lots of great information on Jumby. Thanks. What are the differences in the Harbor Villas and the Pond Bay Villas? Which one is on a better beach, which are prettier, more private, better location. We will need two or three bedrooms. Thanks again.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

The Harbor Villas are located at the dock area when you first arrive and the Pond Villas are located at the the opposite side of the property. I think this is correct, but you may want to verify with JB. Futuresly may be able to answer this better, as they have actually stayed in one of the Harbor Villas.
BTW, futurefly when were you actually there? Last summer there was a lot of construction going on and now the villas are completed.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Thanks Katiekate. I am hoping futuresly, or anyone, will elaborate with the differences. TIA.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:48 AM

http://www.jumbybayresort.com/i/pdf/...resort_map.pdf
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:55 AM

On the left side of the map you will see Jumby Bay Beach- also beach dock---to the right of this dock are new homes, all those numbered lots now have new lovely homes.

This Jumby beach dock is the dock used for everyone except the workers who use
the main dock over by Harbor Villa side
of the island. The map clearly shows
the Pond Bay Villas, Harbor Villas.

Hope this helps.
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:07 AM

Thanks Penny, yes I saw the locations of the Pond Bay Villa's and Habor Villa's, however, is one villa type on a better beach, or is one villa type better or set up nicer than the other for a family of five? The Harbor Villas seem so far away, or is it just the map? TIA.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:31 AM

topping---I did answer your last question.
It shows up on my reply--but did not post.
Strange--
I did say the Harbor villas are further away.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:39 AM

I do not know how they are set up. I would suggest you call Jumby directly and speak to Rita or Sandy. They will address your concerns.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Thanks, I will call directly!
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I was at Jumby Bay about 2 1/2 yrs ago. It had recently been taken over by Rosewood. I'm not sure about the construction last year--unless they have added more of the villas.
Katiekate--you are so right about the privacy and getting spoiled. We rarely travel any other way now.
I don't know the differences between the villa types. As I said--this was such a pleasant surprise to us--we barely left our villa to check out the other room/villa types.
We are going to try to get back in October --hopefully the JB suites have availability then.
ajax-our villa had two bedrooms. One with king size bed--other had two full size beds. Both have patios that merge to a lager seating area for outdoor dining near the plunge pool.
Beach area was small and a little scrubby outside our villa--seemed quite natural and "untouched". Our neighbors had small children and they used the babysitting service for a couple hrs each day. The nanny would walk the children on the beach, but they never went in the water. They used their pool for that. Hope this info helps. Obviously I loved JB and can't wait to return.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM

katiekate-I saw a recent question on another thread re: Casa que Canta. We stayed there for 7 nights in November of 2004. Master pool suites were beautiful--not much sun on ours until well after noon. Being early risers, this wasn't that great for us.