Search

Which Island?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Island?

Ok, this board has helped me so much on other trips ... hopefully I can get some help now.

A bunch of girls are going to the Caribbean for my 40th. I had my heart set on Aruba but the more I research the more I think it's a bad idea. Sounds like it's overcrowded, too many families with kids, and not enough upscale hotels. I had decided on the Bucuti until I read that it's geared more toward honeymooners and couples.

So, here's what my dream for my 40th birthday. I'd like a lush island, good beaches, a place where I can lay on the beach and order drinks yet get back to my hotel room without walking miles. Finally, I'd like a laid back atmosphere where there are good restaurants and a little dancing if we really want to get crazy. Please help!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Aruba's not bad...not too many families. Check out hotels closer to the high rise area. We liked the Wyndham. It had a bunch of good restaurants and a great beach bar.

Also, the shopping is good on Aruba. The Hyatt has a David Yurman boutique!

Also, check out Cancun. There are several nice hotels...Le Meridien, Ritz, JW Marriott...great shopping too! And a great party atmosphere!

Peace, Greenie
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:05 AM
GoTravel

I would second Cancun.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM

If you want something a little quieter than Cancun but still has some nightlife, look at Playa Del Carmen. You still fly into Cancun, it's about 40 minutes south. I recommend the Shangri-La Caribe for a real tropical/barefoot/mexican ambience but it is not luxury or upscale if that is a requirement.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 08:01 AM

I recommend St John, Caneel Bay Resort.

Aruba is not lush.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM

christiegr...don't you think caneel bay is geared more for couples/families ?? Beaglemom : i travel 1-2 times a yr to the vi's with my sisters(men stay home)we rent a villa or condo on st. john, rent a car explore the island...some terrific beaches,restaurants,bars and at times dancing. we were on island once when the Navy came on leave...now that was crazy !! we then hop over to tortola or jost for a few days to complete the trip.on tortola i would say you should rent a car too..plenty of music, great beaches, bars etc. --jost is quite beautiful but small..we love it but maybe do a day trip there 1st..it's not for everyone. of the 3 st. john has the most/best shopping..imo..all nice small shops to check out. all 3 islands are safe for you to explore. we are in our 40's & mid 50's.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Caneel Bay to me is more for couples and the night life is not very good.

Cacun is fun but a wee bit too commercial for me. They do have a lot of clubs and their night life is bar none.

If you are willing to spend extra cash why not St. Martin? I heard nothing but great things about it!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:08 AM

Beaglemom: If you want a lush island, you'll definitely be disappointed in Aruba. It's pretty arid and mostly scrub. Christie's suggestion of Caneel is not bad because St. John is comparatively lush with growth. It has gorgeous beaches and Caneel boasts 7 of them, but I'm not sure it's the beachside service place you'd like. Caneel is not that family-oriented and some of the complaints have been that its pleasures are too sublime i.e. not typically "upscale" for $700+ a night. I would look into the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas. Eva Longoria seems to like it there. It seems to offer the balance you're looking for. The added bonus is St. Thomas is fairly easy to get to as the gateway to the Virgin Islands.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:54 AM

I think that The Westin STJ is more family oriented than Caneel Bay.Plus you can have drinks on the beach at Caneel and it has better beaches than the Westin.

Cruz Bay has a few places to dance and have drinks.

The OP mentioned that she wants a lush island...that is why I suggested St John.

Christie
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Tom Beach Hotel, or Eden Rock (much more pricey), on St. Barts. St. Jean Beach is fabulous and there are plenty of places to party if you want to.