Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What Island is comparable to Cancun in terms of beautiful 5star resorts with great pools and a gorgeous beaches, fun local nightlife, etc?

Search

What Island is comparable to Cancun in terms of beautiful 5star resorts with great pools and a gorgeous beaches, fun local nightlife, etc?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Cat

My husband and I are in our 20s and really enjoyed the fun atmosphere of Cancun, with the gorgeous 5 star resorts with swim up bar, great beach, beautiful torquoise ocean, great local bars, etc., but are looking for somewhere new to experience. A great pool is top priority (please no negative), so can you recommend an island that has a lot to offer in terms of a great resort/pool, ocean, plenty to do, etc. It seem Aruba might be of interest, but comparing the two, which is nicer (Cancun or Aruba). Also, do the AIs in Jamaica have a lively atmosphere, great pools, etc, top accomodations?

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Kath

Cat<BR><BR>I'm trying to plan a trip to Cancun in the spring. Can you tell me what your favorite 5 star resort with swim up bar and great beach is? Thanks.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Cat

We honeymooned at Fiesta Americana Condesa Cancun and cant stop raving about this hotel. Do a search so you can see pictures! One of the best multi-level pools, waterfalls, etc., very tropical.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Barry

Aruba has some resorts along the beach with elaborate outdoor pools and bars that have recently been rebuilt. I know that the Radisson has a stunning new redisign to their facilities, which my wife and I marveled at while we crashed their beach on our last cruise. Do a search on their hotel from their web site. It has some pictures. <BR><BR>Check with your travel agent to see if other hotels are part of the poolsite redesign competition in Aruba.<BR><BR>The nightlife in Aruba is supposed to be pretty hot, at least if you watch &quot;Wild on E&quot;. But I think it was more like &quot;Wild on Turner Classics&quot; while we were there. Our ship was there on a Monday night, however.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Nancy

Hi Cat,<BR>Since you liked Cancun so much, you could return to Mexcio and go just down the road to Playa del Carmen. It's completely different from Cancun.<BR>It has a great night life with lots of different places to dance and listen to live music.<BR>There are some very nice 5 star resorts there or very close by, and it is much more laid back and funky than Cancun.<BR>(Many more different nationalities' travelers than Cancun.)<BR>You still have the gorgeous beach (though it's not quite as wide or large as Cancun's) and there are lots of places to party 24/7.<BR>None of the Caribbean islands I have been to had that same atmosphere (or even close to it) that Cancun has coupled with the great beach and intensely blue water. <BR>(I have not been to Aruba, so can't comment on it.)<BR><BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Beth

I like Cancun better, but try the Atlantis Hotel in Paradise Island. It has awesome pools, and a great beach. The food is not all that great, but the hotel is similar to Cancun hotels.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:03 PM
traveler

think the problem is the 5-star included in the description. You can find comprable spots to Cancun, Aruba is definitely one of them, but the 5 star places are not mass marketed like Cancun, Aruba, Altantis, etc. Can't figure out where you've been in the Caribbean that you found Cancun and the beaches there unsurpassed.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:17 PM
James

&quot;5 star&quot; and &quot;Atlantis&quot; and &quot;Aruba&quot; do not belong in the same sentence.<BR><BR>There are NO 5 star resorts in Aruba.<BR><BR>Atlantis is most definitely NOT a 5 star resort.<BR><BR>To qualify as a 5 star, luxurious/impeccable rooms are a must. No hotel in Aruba (and certainly not Atlantis) qualifies.<BR><BR>Need to nix those two suggestions from the list.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:35 PM
VVV

Iv'e been to PR,St Thomas, St John,Aruba,Jamaica,DR,Antigua,Margarita Island and Cancun. None of these islands compare to Cancun, in terms of 5* resorts,fun,swim-up bars,great pools, beach,turquoise water,things to do. The only one that comes close, would be Negril,Jamaica: but only for water &amp; beach &amp; fun. I'm headed to Grand Cayman for the first time in March. I know it's nothing like Cancun,but I'm not in my 20's anymore.Going for sun, beach,BEER and R&amp;R. Don't get me wrong,I enjoyed all these islands mentioned,but they're nothing like Cancun.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 03:09 PM
xxxx

Iv'e been to PR,St Thomas, St John,Aruba,Jamaica,DR,Antigua,Margarita Island and Cancun. None of these islands compare to Cancun.<BR>but they're nothing like Cancun. <BR><BR>Except for Aruba you are absolutely right! And THANK GOODNESS!!!! <BR>Maybe it's the age and the BEER????

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Cabo

Have you looked into Cabo San Lucas? They have gorgeous 5* resorts there. I did not stay at any of them. I stayed at relatives while visiting but we drove by a lot of them and walked around. Give it a try!!!<BR><BR>Cabo seems to have everything, however, I would not go there after May, it is extremely hot from that time on.<BR><BR>Good luck