Which is better w/teens OCWor RWI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling w/teens, and picky husband. Which is better for food, drinks all around fun?
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM

RWI hands down
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM

I think they are pretty comparable, but some differences you might want to consider are:

- OCW has screened patios/balconies while RWI's are open

- OCW is more centrally located to shopping, restaurants, and other resorts

- RWI's restaurant generally seems to be more popular than OCW's

- OCW offers a partial meal plan that some people have recommended to save money if you are planning to eat several meals at the resort

- RWI's beachfront area and grounds are more compact than OCW's

- OCW and its sister resort, Ocean Club, located about one mile east, offer guests reciprocal use of the two properties, so it might be nice if your teens get restless to be able to spend time at another beach, pool, or restaurant

My overall impression, which is the view of many others but is not unanimous, is that RWI tends to attract more couples/adults, and OCW tends to be a little more family focused. I would also recommend looking at the Sands; it offers the most amenities among mid-range resorts on Grace Bay and is great for families.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM

I agree, between OCW and RWI, OCW is best for teens. The meal plan is a good deal, as mentioned.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Good points, you also have club med and other resorts along the beach. The RWI is in a preferred spot on the beach, in our opinion, although the new high-rise condos will soon change the appeal of this destination altogether.
We met 1 couple and 1 family (with young tots) from the OCW and they will be staying at the RWI on their next trips for various reasons. RWI is actually close to the plaza (restaurants/ stores), a nice short bike ride for the family, bikes are free. Another 1/2 mile down is the mall, many more stores to spend a day at.
The Sands is another option, as well as the Palms. But because the RWI is so beautiful and the pools are nice and the restaurant is the best on the island we are partial to this place. Many of the suites are owned, and as you know you have a kitchenette as well as washer and dryer do that helps with a family stay.
What a beautiful view of the reef you will have from any of these choices in Grace Bay!
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the wonderful advice! Sounds like we cant go wrong with either resort. I'll post our experience when we return in April! Thanks again!!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
LKL

Does OCW stand for Ocean Club West?

And does RWI stand for Royal West Indies Resort?

I need to find a resort for three girls (late twenties, single) that doesn't break the bank. RWI sounds reasonable (if it is Royal West Indies Resort)

??
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Just left OCW yesterday. For me, the great rates for beachfront room, and the low density, wide property made for uncrowded beach. The food was marginal, the rooms nice and spacious. The Sands had a great restaraunt, Hemingways, was also very nice, although the beach seemed more crowded. I saw a few teens at OCW. I'm not sure of the price or RWI, but OCW was a great value.