Advice on Turks, Please

Jan 10th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Advice on Turks, Please

Hi. My wife, 10 month old baby, and I are planning a trip to Turks from NYC at the end of the month. I chose Turks because it's one of the few places I haven't been that has a direct flight from JFK. I needed the direct flight because it will be the first time travelling with Baby and this flight only takes 3hrs26mins. I do however need advice on lodging. After much research I think that the Sands might be the right place. All my wife and I are looking for is a good beach, a good pool, a decent resort, decent food, and we do not require that much activity (R&R is just fine). We have a baby, but prefer a place that is not overrun with kids. The Sands runs around $300-$400/night. This is in our range, but was wondering if anyone thought that there is a better place for the money, or is this the best. Thanks in Advance,
Andrew
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM

In my opinion (if paying their rates is not a problem for you) The Sands is a very good choice. It is on a very nice stretch of beach, the pool is nice. We did not stay there but we ate at the restaurant which we liked. Unlike Beaches it is not "overrun with kids" - although there are likely to be some families there.
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:39 PM

I also think the Sands is a good choice. The only downside is there are not many other restaurants within walking distance except Bay Bistro at Sibonne which is right next door. You need a car to get to most other restaurants. You might consider Ocean Club West although I don't know what their rates are. It is across from Ports of Call shopping plaza where there are about four restaurants that are within walking distance. One night you could splurge and get a baby sitter and walk to Anacona at Grace Bay Club for a very romantic dinner experience.
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!
How good is Hemingway's? I'm sure my wife will want to hit the market and prepare some food, she's a great cook, but for a meal a day can I live with just Hemingway's? Are there any kid-friendly restaraunts that you can recommend?
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM

If you havent already, look into the Ocean Club. Its very quiet and relaxing - its the last resort on that end of grace bay so there is very little noise and hardly anyone on the beach. I was there in early december and there were a few couples with young babies like yourself. The food at the Cabana bar is very good for lunch. PLus there are nice gas grills by the pool that are available for guests to barbeque on. And all the rooms have full kitchens. Another benefit of the Ocean Club is that you can also use Ocean Club West and all of its amenities. There is a free shuttle that goes back and forth all day if you feel like seeing a different stretch of beach, a different pool, or different restaurants. OCW is also within walking distance of Ports of Call and several restaurants.
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM

We stayed at the Sands twice and loved it,and Hemingways. Just go to
http://www.thesandsresort.com/,and then click on the left on Resort,and then click on Hemingways. You'll see their menu.
Jan 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM

We stayed at the Sands with our 1 & 2 year olds in December & loved it. We chose T&C for pretty much the same reason as you, the short flight from the northeast, but ended up really liking it. The Sands is a great place with a baby, the full kitchen is great for baby food, bottles, etc and the grounds are small but nice for strolling the baby around. Hemingways was really good, we ate almost every lunch & dinner there. We heard Bay Bistro was good & kids friendly. We also ate at Sharkbites & Calico Jacks which were okay and which were definitely kids friendly. We walked to the Ports of Call, its a short walk but they have no sidewalks so it was a pain with the stroller. There were kids at the Sands but almost all were under the age of 4 and most were very well behaved. It was definitely not overrun with them. We felt like it was a good value for the money.