where to stay in st. martin

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

where to stay in st. martin

going for 4 nights in early june with my hubby. Would probably like to stay on the french side. We are renting a car for use in the daytime. Would like to stay close to bars/restaurants for at night (so we don't have to drive after a glass of wine or 2 . We're not really looking for "clubs", more like restaurants or casual bars. For reference, we are in our late 20's.

So I've narrowed it down to 2 spots, grand case beach or orient beach. Which would be the best place for us to stay? Any hotel suggestions in those areas would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:37 AM

try posting your question at
http://www.traveltalkonline.com
there is a very active St. Maarten forum there and I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:55 AM
RAB

Grand Case Beach Club is within walking distance of the many restaurants in Grand Case. Orient tends to close up at night so you would most likely be driving.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:10 AM

Check out L'Esplanade in Grand Case. We stayed there a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Great views. Not on the beach but a short walk to it. Walking distance to all the restaurants as well. We booked thru www.gobeach.com. They usually have some off season specials available.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:35 PM

To be near the best restaurants on the island, stay in Grand Case. We just returned from the Grand Case Beach Club, good, basic accomodations with kitchens in the room and walking distance to all restaurants. Also located on 2 beaches (Grand Case and Petite Plage) but close to Orient Beach and Il Pinel, the best 2 French beaches we visited. Have a great time. Le Pressoir and Tastevin are excellent!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:28 PM

Just returned on Saturday from our 2nd trip this year to St.Martin. First time we stayed at Grand case Beach Club and just recently at L'Hoste on Orient Beach. (www.hostehotel.com) We highly recommend either hotel, although if you opt for L'Hoste ask to stay in the original part of the hotel. They just recently acquired the hotel next door and although the rooms are set up the same we found a few things not up to the standard we were used to; telephone wouldn't work, one light had a huge piece missing, towels, bedspread getting a bit thin. The garden area outside our patio was more dirt than garden as this place has been neglected. Another place we've enjoyed is the Hotel Beach Plaza located near the Marina in Marigot. It has a pool and a little beach (though not the best, by far) and is near to the restaurants and shops of Marigot. Nearby is US Import Plaza with a supermarche, bakery, newsstand.

Besides Orient (my faveourite beach) try Baie Rouge and Baie au Prunes.