Honeymoon Frustration!!!

Mar 18th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Frustration!!!

I need some help...please!!!
I am totally stuck between the Mayan Riviera and Negril. We are looking at the Barcelo in Mex. and thinking about the Couples resort.

Can anyone compare Couples to the Beaches resort?? It feels like I have been planning the honeymoon longer than the wedding!!!

thank you!!!!!!!!!
Mar 19th, 2004, 04:12 AM

There have been many posts about Negril & the Couples resorts. I like the looks of Couples Swept Away & it has gotten good reviews. Try checking posts at

http://www.tropictravelonline.com/cg...ltimatebb.cgi?

www.wheretostay.com
Mar 19th, 2004, 07:06 PM

May15_bride-
I don't think you can go wrong with either one (Mayan Riviera or Negril). I've been to the Mayan Riviera (a couple of times) and Negril (Couples Negril). There are lots of differences between the 2 places, so what you need to clarify is what are the most important things in this honeymoon (ie...beaches, food, culture, excursions, etc). Personally, I think the Mayan Riviera has more beautiful beaches (whiter, wider, and the snorkelling is better). Also, I think the Mexican people are wonderful. My mom visited the Barcelo and had a great time. I've also heard other great reviews. On the other hand, you do have to be careful about what you eat & drink in Mexico. I am always very careful and I still tend to get a little sick. In fact, the last time we were there my mom (who's a nurse) got really sick and had to go on an iv when we returned to US. Despite that, Mexico is awesome and I will be returning next Spring. On the other hand, I loved Negril. To me, the beaches are nice (not as nice as Mayan Riviera, in my opinion). They are not as wide and not as white as the ones in MR. That being said, the food, people, and culture of Jamaica are really wonderful. We stayed at Couples Negril and it was awesome. To me, it was the best overall experience I've had on a vacation. In fact, my fiance and I will be headed back to Negril to get married in December (at Couples Swept Away). I would highly recommend checking out Couples Swept Away if you are thinking about Negril. Look at the Atrium rooms (the older ones). I personally don't think you get as much value for your money at the Beaches resort and I don't think the atmosphere is as romantic as the others. Couples is adults only (while Beaches and Barcelo are not)-that's a big difference in itself. Have you checked out the Iberostar Paraiso in Mayan Riviera or Royal Hideaway? I've heard nothing but raves about both of those resorts. If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected], I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
Christie
Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:56 PM

I know the feeling.

We have been to both Swept Away in Negril and the Royal Hideaway in the Mayan Riviera.

We loved both.

We were in the same position as you - and chose Swept Away to get married and stay for our honeymoon.

We really had a wonderful experience at Swept Away. Very unique resort. We are also fitness people and really enjoyed the facilities. The resort was laid back and the beach fantastic.

Royal Hideaway is first class - but less laid back. I liked 7 mile beach in Negril a little better.

Can't go wrong with either location.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:39 PM

I had another thought on a place to stay. If you want a lovely place with pampering but a sort of secluded feel then check out Moon Dance Villas in Negril. My sis-in-law stayed there & raved about it. For about the same price
as an all inclusive resort they had a villa with their own cook, bartender & housekeeper. She said they would fix whatever you wanted to eat or drink. The beach was nice & secure but there was no planned activities like a resort. Just another idea for you to think about.