Search

Honeymoon!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon!

Hi there! This is my first post and I really need some advice. I am getting married and want to honeymoon from Nov. 13-23rd of this year. We would like to go to an all-inclusive so we are not worried about going over budget while we are there. I thought I had decided on Couples Swept Away in Negril, but recently someone suggested Secrets in the Dominican Republic. I did some looking around and it is nearly 1,500 less to go there so I am torn. Anyone have any insight that would make my decision easier? Pros and Cons? We just want to relax, nightlife is not important to us. We do like to eat and drink so that is important also. My fiance loves watersports (hobie cats and snorkeling and such). So, any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Congratulations on your wedding.
I've never been to Punta Cana. I've been to Negril but did not stay at Swept Away. So I can't advise you on specifics. But here are some bigger questions that may help you make a decision.
First, which of those 2 places you REALLY want to go to? It's your honeymoon (a really special trip), go where you REALLY want to go.
Second, don't let money be the deciding factor if you could afford Swept Away in the first place. Again, it is your honeymoon.
Third, do you plan to just stay at the resort or would you like to do some sightseeing? If you plan to stick to the resort, then either place is fine. It's a pretty well known fact there's not much to do outside of the resorts in Punta Cana. So if you'd like to get out and sightsee, Jamaica would be best. There are lots of great places to see there. If you click on my screen name, you will find my recent trip report with some fantastic places we went to (with pics).
Good luck with the decision!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM

We went to Swept Away a few years ago, and loved it! Sounds like just the kind of AI you are looking for -- laid back, relaxing, opportunity for lots of watersports, good food. Also, Negril beach is wonderful, with soft white sand and calm water. From what I have heard, it is much nicer than the DR, but I have not been there and can't speak from experience. You definitely can't go wrong with Swept Away. Congratulations and good luck with your wedding!
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! I do not have my heart set on either to tell you the truth. I doubt we will venture outside of the resort as this will be our honeymoon (wink, wink)! So, I guess what I am really wondering if it is worth it to spend the extra money to go to Negril. Anyone been to both?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM

These areas could not be more different.

Swept Away is a small, personal resort with a very Caribbean feel. The beach is lovely and it is quite romantic.

Negril is an area where they allow no buildings higher than a palm tree.

The DR IMO is more of a created resort. The resorts tend to be huge and the area itself is not as tropical nor as personal.

From Negril, it is easy to visit the cliff area, etc. Once in the DR, you are pretty much there unless you want to make a bit of an effort.

The water in Negril is safe to drink. You will need to stick to bottled in the DR.

And Secrets will no longer be an adult, couples only resort when you are travelling.

IMO, Negril and CSA are the better option.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for that information! That really just saved me from booking at Secrets, becuase I really want someplace without children. I love children, just not on my honeymoon!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:19 AM

I'm going to the Dominican Republic on Sept 17th. We are staying at the Riu Bambu, an all-inclusive resort. We got a non-stop flight and it's for 7 days. We only paid apprx $850.00 per person. It's an awesome resort. Several close friends stayed there alreday which is why I choose to go.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM

In DR there is also a law saying the resort can not be any taller then 3 stories. My travel agent said that Secrets will still be adults only. The only change there will be is the managment. Everything else is staying the same.