Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

The Buccaneer, 1st night dinner reservation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are traveling in early Nov to the Buccaneer with our 18m son. I was suggested to make 1st night dinner reservation.

I remember reading other posts about the problems when arriving late and no dinner reservation.

However, I also remember from reading different posts that dinner at the Buccaneer is just ok.

I am wondering if we are making the right decision or there can be better arrangements?

Thanks
CL
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Hi CL--you may have read a post from me; first, I'm glad that the Buc is telling people to make a reservation because we arrived and were told no dinner and had to do room service which was expensive and took forever and we were not happy, but too tired to go into town for dinner; so, to answer your question; yes, I would have dinner there your first night, especially if you will have just flown in--we came from D.C. so it had been two flights and we were done with transit for the day; dinner is fine, it is on the formal side and there are so many fun places to eat dinner in St. Croix that you will want to explore.

Hope this helps; let us know if you want dinner recommendations, there are several St. Croix fans on this board.

Mary
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Depending on how late it is, there are many good restaurants in Christiansted, and it's not very far from the Buccaneer, especially if you have a car. I like Bacchus, but there are some more relaxed places on the boardwalk if you don't want to do a big dinner out, and they wouldn't require a reservation.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Ghengis,
I'm with MaryMarra on this (usually am!). I would make a dinner reservation at the Buccaneer even though it is more formal and there are better spots on the island to eat. But with an 18 month old in tow, you'll be happy to just go to the Terrace, enjoy the piano playing and eat.

Actually, the Terrace dining room is getting better reviews than in the past. And they often offer a bistro type menu that is less expensive.

I doubt you will have ANY trouble getting reservations in early November--not high season yet.

Bacchus is terrific but may not be great with an 18 month old (depends on the child and your tastes). If you think you'd rather go into town the first night, I would suggest Rumrunners. Good (not great) food and fun atmosphere. Perfect with a little one.

Enjoy! Our daughter was 17 months old during her first Buccaneer stay and is now 10 and looking forward to stay #8 in February.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank so much everyone. I think we will have our 1st dinner at the Buccaneer then.

Also... We will stay at the Oceant Front room. Some thread mentioned there was mouse .... Does it mean my kid shoudln't sleep on the floor?
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I've never heard about a mouse issue (except reading it recently somewhere online). The Oceanfront rooms are right on the waterfront so I could see that it might happen but have never heard about it from anyone else.

Why would you have your child sleep on the floor anyway? Why not ask for a crib? I know the Buccaneer has them. And be sure to bring a stroller--the hill is definitely good exercise
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM

I should add that if you and your wife want to go out to dinner without your little one, that the women at the front desk babysit. We used them and they were great (they know the property, they are very responsible and they are exceptionally nice). As noted, none of the restaurants are very far away so we felt comfortable leaving our daughter for a few hours.

Hope this helps; it is great place!

Mary