Search

Grand Case, SXM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Case, SXM

My boyfriend and I are thinking of going to St. Martin and staying in Grand Case. We are not looking for a lot of nightlife (discos or clubs) but nice bars we can get a drink after dinner. Are there any in Grand Case or would we be better of in Maho bay?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Hi! My wife and I went to SXM last year for the first time. We stayed on Orient Beach, but took most of a day and spent it at Grand Case Beach Club. The beach there is not very deep and not very long, but VERY pretty with a great view of the bay area. There is a super restaurant right by the water. We did the snorkeling trip out to Creole Rock and i would recommend that 2 hour trip. Now to answer your question, there ARE several very good restaurants in Grand Case, most all within walking distance, about 300-500 yards from Grande Case. I don't know about the bars, but assume that there are bars at the restaurants there. I think you'll like Grande Case should you decide to stay there. We thought about going back and staying there instead of on Orient Beach. Email me if you would like any more info on SXM.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Lisa, We spent a week on Orient Beach (which is only 10 minutes from Grand Case). I posted a Fodors trip review called something like "Orient Beach..."
We ate most of our meals in Grand Case and they were all fabulous. We looked into Maho, but decided against it because the planes fly in and out very close to there. To me, that's not relaxing.

That said, the restaurants in Grand Case aren't really beachside so I don't think they'd be all that great for a drink and a view. The only exception is the restuarant at the Grand Case Resort, which has a great location for sunset drinks. We really didn't notice any bars per se. But a lot of the beach bars at Orient Beach are open, and they have a little more ambience, assuming you don't mind driving over there.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Grand Case is our favourite place in St. Martin, and we say this after having been there 8 times or so, and having explored most of island. I would definitely recommend it over Maho Bay - it is like a little French town set in a Caribbean environment. Great restaurants, nice location on the water. For this summer we booked Grand Case Beach hotel for the 1st time, after finding last year that we only used our car to go to Grand Case.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:46 AM

I agree that with your criteria you would probably prefer Grand Case. It is my favorite area of the island, as well.

Restaurant Row, which is touted to be the Gourmet Capitol of the Caribbean, is located in Grand Case and there are several restaurants to choose from for a lovely oceanside dinner with drinks at sunset. I am not sure what the previous poster was referring to in there not being restaurants on the beach, but I have been to at least six that are.

There are a couple of very small bars in the area, but the restaurants are really more well known and you could easily explore and find places to have an after dinner drink.

Grand Case is more quaint and quiet in comparison to the lively night activities at Maho, so you would probably be happier there. Plus it's on the French side which has a more Mediterranean feel, and you would be very close to the capitol of Marigot for shopping or visiting the weekly outdoor market.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I forgot to add that Grand Case has recently started their weekly evening street fair with music, food, and family entertainment. It's called "Harmony Nights" and although I haven't been myself yet, it seems like a fun sort of Mini-Mardi Gras type atmosphere for only one night per week.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:22 AM

Yes Statia, I don't understand either how the earlier poster can say that the restaurants in Grand Case are 'not really beachside' - at least half of them are! And thanks for mentioning the street fair - will that also be on in July when we are in Grand Case?