Where to stay in Punta Cana?Club Med?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Punta Cana in February but having a hard time deciding where to stay. Traveling with 3 kids. Majestic? Club Med? Any other suggestions? Main priorities-beach, pool, nice room, no bugs.
Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM

You can't really control the bug situation in Punta Cana. All resorts get mosquitoes when there is heavy rain, and that can happen anytime of the year. The weather has more influence on bugs than anything else. But all of the resorts spray.

Your priorities are pretty vague. Most resorts have nice rooms, and nice pool area, and a great beach. In my opinion, the beach at Club Med is among the better stretches because it faces the Caribbean side of the peninsula (the resort is also close to the airport). The Club Med is a good family-focused resort, so it may be a good choice for you.
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM

We stayed at the Riu Resort last Feb and it meets all the criteria: beautiful beach and pool, and our room was very clean with no bugs. It's an all-inclusive that includes kayak rentals and such, which I think would be great for kids.

For info/pics from our trip:
http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot....-republic.html
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming Feb is not rainy season so hopefully the mosquitos will not be excessive.
In terms of requirements, I want a beautiful beach, beautiful pool, nice rooms. Has anyone been to the Punta Cana Club Med?
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM

Have you checked Trip Advisor? My experience is that those posts tend to be more specific on questions concerning rooms, etc.
We were at Club Med Punta Cana about 20 years ago. The rooms were unimpressive and had some sort of strange "bars" across the windows (may be entirely different now); the beach and pool were very handsome. Also: Don't know if Club Med still has all the crazy hoopla that it once had, but if you like amore relaxed sort of vacation CM may be a turn-off. On the other hand, CM always had lots of activities and plenty of sports equipment in more or less good shape.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM

I took my daughter and granddaughters (18 months and 4 years old)to Club Med last winter. I think it a great place for kids. They have camps for them with all kinds of activities. We met families with teenagers who return year-after-year. Our room was very comfortable (although crowded with a crib) although not luxurious. I'm very critical about food, and thought it was very good. Everything from lobster and rack of lamb to hot dogs and pizza. Staff was excellent and helpful. Being 10 minutes from the airport was nice with kids. The beach and pool are beautiful. They have shows every night for kids, that I had to sit through but the kids loved, including a show including the kids. I highly recommend it for families with children of all ages.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 03:04 PM

P.S. My prudish daughter was concerned what her 4 year old would say about the bare boobs. I said she probably wouldn't even notice, and if she did she never said a word. Her old grandfather certainly noticed, though.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 05:44 AM

The Club Med in Punta Cana has undergone a significant renovation over the past couple of years, and it's a very different place from the time when poss stayed there. The whole chain has been virtually reinvented and is much more upscale (especially the resorts in the Caribbean that cater primarily to Americans).
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For great info on Punta Cana resorts, go to this site:

http://www.debsdrtravels.proboards47.com/index.cgi