Where to Stay

Jan 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Where to Stay

Hi. We're heading to the Cayman Islands this April and I'm trying to narrow down where to stay. I was orginally looking into condos but it was suggested by a young adult who lived in the Caymans that we book with one of the popular hotel chains. My husband and I will be traveling with our 13 year old son who does scuba dive. The hotel chain was suggested as it would be a busier place to be for him then at a condo. I think I've narrowed it down to possibly staying at the Westin but would love any input/thoughts from anyone familar with the Caymans or who has stayed at the Westin in the past. In addition any recommendations of websites to book thru would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jan 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM

TTT
I did not stay at the Westin, but many here on this board have. We stayed at the marriott and it was a smaller resort. The Westin is larger.
Scuba diving is everywhere on the island and all the hotels will offer it. We went last summer and our kids were 13 and 15 and they loved it! Have fun!
Jan 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Have you considered the Reef Resort on the east end? It has great condo's, but also has several pools, hottubs, tennis courts, and a nice dive shop on site. The snorkeling is great right outside the resort too, and there is wireless internet throughout the resort and an internet cafe as well. The Westin is nice too, but you don't get the same type of "island feel" in the 7MB area since it is much more built up. It depends on what type of activities you are looking for. I'm sure that you will enjoy either one!
Jan 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM

A busier place so that your son could possibly have more interaction with other kids? When we stayed at the Westin, we just dicovered that there were other places we would have preferred to have stayed. The grounds were magnificent and the beach is nice, but the hotel brings in a lot of conventions and those guests are treated like the hotel is theirs exclusively. I also doubt that your son would find anything appealing at night in the hotel. I think you would be fine with a condo and would find other families there.
Enjoy your escape!
Jan 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM

With a 13 yr. old, my suggestion is the Westin or a condo right next door. The East end is nice, but much quieter and your son may get bored. My son was 12 when we visited the Caymans and stayed at Villas of Galleon next door to the Westin and Ritz. But, he was the only kid that age at the complex, and this was Feb vacation time.