Mariott Napili Villas or Westin Kannapali Ocean Resort Villas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Maui the last week of August and want to stay at a condo/timeshare villa for the week in the Kannapali area.

We stayed at the Mariott Napili last time and really liked it, but was wondering if the Westin Ocean Resort Villas is nicer. We are looking for a great pool area with slides, good beach and nice room.
I know that the Mariott is on the 'boardwalk' and you can walk to Whaler Village and the Westin looks like it is on the other side of Black Rock, so I dont think you can walk there.

Can anyone help us decide?

THANKS!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM

The pool at Westin Ocean Resort is a pretty plain pool. The really good poo is at the Westin hotel, but you cannot use it unless you are staying there. You can use the shuttle to get you there, and that will take you right to Whalers Village. It will also take you to Sheraton Black Rock. You can use any facility at the three places EXCEPT the pools.

Deb
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Well, I haven't seen the Westin except from the outside, but for all the reasons you've already noted, I would choose the Marriott - 1) I like to be on "this side" of Black Rock, 2) I think the villas are gorgeous (we didn't stay there, but we took a tour), 3) it's got a really nice pool (better than most condo pools because it was once a hotel, and 4) it's on a nice beach.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Some older threads on this:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ort-villas.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ort-villas.cfm

Deb
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM

The Westin is at the Kahekili beach park area, often used for beginner snorkel and scuba training which is great. The area is otherwise quiet and units in the back of the complex will likely get road noise from Hwy 30.
Marriott is, as you said, right in the Kaanapali zone but to my mind much more to be preferred, the main pool area is vast (3 acres or so) with slides in places and a replica pirate ship for the kids. Smaller pools are available by the newer Napili & Lahaina towers as well. Units in the back of the Marriott complex get a basically two lane road to the Hyatt etc then the golf course so you're a long way from Hwy30's traffic. Add to that you're in walking distance of a decent choice of restaurants.
Have fun
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses.
I was all set on the Mariott, but then I saw some pictures of the Westin Villas which looked like they had a larger, nicer pool. Perhaps it was pictures of the Westin hotel... I'll check.
5 weeks and counting ...