condo or westin with teens at x-mas

Sep 5th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

condo or westin with teens at x-mas

We are taking our 14 and 16 year olds to Grand Cayman, and trying to decide between staying at the Westin (perhaps in one room - although we have 2 booked) or at Discovery Point Condos. Both look great - but the kids are wondering if they'll be able to meet other teens easily if we are in condos? Will that be much easier at the Westin - or do people all head out for day trips no matter where you are?
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:43 AM

There's really no "pat" answer to your question. Christmas is a popular "family" time throughout the Caribbean, even on Grand Cayman, and chances are there will be plenty of families staying at the condos and the Westin. Just how many of those families will have children the same age as yours is anyone's guess but statistically speaking the chances are there will be some. As far as going out for day trips, that too will depend. Most people don't sit around a resort or condo all day, every day. They explore the island, take snorkel trips, go diving, take day sails, wander around town, go hiking, etc. - you imagination is your only limit.

I wouldn't worry about the kids meeting others their own age, they probably will but if they don't they will find plenty of things to do and see.
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM

kimfish,
We stayed at Discovery Point Club in May of this year.

We have boys ages 11,9,and 3.We enjoyed our stay very much.It has a nice pool and jaquzzi right on the beach.

The kids had other kids to play with at the pool.

I would highly recommend DPC.The staff is very friendly and helpful.

I also highly recommend a trip to Stingray City with Captain Marvin's..it was the highlight of our trip!

Have fun!!

Christie
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:51 AM

One more thing..

A Traveller is right..many people are not at the condos all day.We weren't..we were out exploring each day and had a great place to come home to each evening.Good snorkeling near by also!

Christie
Sep 6th, 2006, 11:32 AM

I'll be in the minority, but when our kids were in their teens, they preferred the Westin over a condo. The first year we switched to Coralstone(not too far from Westin either) they ended up going back to the Westin to search for 'others'. However, we always did seperate rooms for them so at least we had some breathing room. That's the plus side to a condo--room.
Sep 6th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Forgot to add that again we were in the minority, because we do stay around the beach for majority of time. We would cram as much into one day of travelling as possible. Just our choice.
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

I think we may go with the minority - we have done villas and hotels at other locations, and the kids really like finding a new friend or two they can meet at various times on property.
If we try to get 4 in one room, will we regret it? My son says he would rather sleep on the floor than go for a condo - should we still book 2 rooms?
Sep 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM

kimfish, 1 room is workable. You can also request a cot if you need it. We always had 5 or over on our trips, so the 2 rooms were a must.

Search this Thread