where to go? VI, DR, or Cancun?

Aug 29th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

where to go? VI, DR, or Cancun?

Hi all. My fiancé and I are considering the following 3 destinations. Our travel date is 9/29-10/6.

1. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
2. Cancun, Mexico
3. St. Thomas, Virgin Islands

Our biggest concern, obviously, is the weather. Has anyone had any experience in traveling to these destinations around this time period? Iím afraid that it will rain everyday, but most of all, Iím afraid of any hurricane. Any thoughts?
Aug 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM

All of those areas are well within the "hurricane zone". You mibht want to consider Aruba or Curacao.
Aug 29th, 2006, 07:23 PM
KVR

I've been to all 3. What type of vacation are you looking for?

Punta Cana was many, many years ago on a cruise stop. The atmosphere was not my cup of tea. I'm sure more recent travelers can give you better info. However, from recent reviews I've read, you're basically stuck at your resort as traveling of the property is not recommended. There are several health warnings regarding food and malari. I personally didn't like it the first time and wouldn't return. However, many people like that type of vacation.

Cancun - Very lively atmosphere. Not for everyone. Lots of bars, shopping and activites. It you like an active vacation, it will suit. Mexico is one of our favorite destinations and we would love to return. However, we enjoy the Playa del Carmen area a little better. A little more subdued and in closer range to activites such as X-Ha, Xcaret, Mayan Ruins, Maroma Beach, cenotes for snorkeling, etc. We are planning a return trip for November to Playa if everything works out.

St. Thomas - Went last year for DH's 50th birthday. Compared to other destinations we've been to, was not impressed. Many, many people love St. John and recommend over St. Thomas. Personally, we didn't see it. If you want a low key beach hopping vacation with some shopping thrown in, then St. Thomas may be what your looking for.

We're headed for Aruba this weekend. Our first trip there. If your major concern is the weather, I agree with Aruba or Curacao.

Besides Mexico, the 2 Islands that left a good impression on us were Grand Cayman and St. Lucia. However, I would not recommend Grand Cayman during hurricane season. We visited in a November and the weather was great.

Aug 29th, 2006, 09:06 PM

We're headed back for our 5th trip to Cancun over the Thanksgiving weekend... we haven't been back since 2004 - so we are so excited... Cancun is wonderful!
Sep 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM

I don't suggest going to Curacao. It is very arid and more resembles the Southwestern US than a typical island and while it's a personal viewpoint, I didn't care for Curacao. However, it is known to be safe from hurricanes.

The best Curacaoan beaches are on the western side of the island, but if you are used to pure white sand you won't find it very much in Curacao. There is white sand, but there it's got lots of small rocks and coral both on the shore and in the water. On the whole, the beaches did not awe us. We visited the USVI and Cancun before and like those destinations more. Even though Cancun is small and there isn't much to see and do there, the beaches are fantastic.
Sep 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM

I agree with KVR. I know folks who love the DR. It is a bit isolated, and you are stuck on the resorts. I would choose Cancun, or primarily the playa del carmen area. There are things to do, tours to take etc. My husband loves St. Thomas. You can take the ferry over to St. Johns. As far as weather, no one can predict what it will be like on any of the islands during your time frame. Aruba would probably be the safest in terms of weather.

Search this Thread