Where to go on $1500

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go on $1500

Hi,
We live in NJ. Any idea where (if at all possible) to go for a week for sun and relaxation sometime between Feb or Mar, '07?

I was looking at cruises since some now leave out of NJ, figuring on saving airfare but I could only find Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Sea which we have already been on. We like to try different ships. Besides which, they didn't show any dates for those months

I also tried looking for some island with hotels that were all-inclusive but couldn't find anything within our budget mainly because then we have to add airfare (from either AC or Newark).

I want to surprise my husband at Christmas with the reservations. If I wait until December is there a likelihood that I could find last minute deals for Feb or isn't that last minute enough? And if it is, what are the best places to look for last minute deals?

Normally, I have plenty of time to do the reseach on my own but this time I have too many other things going on to spend a ton of time on the internet. I am hoping someone can help. Thanks a lot.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM

That's REALLY high season so it's going to be tough. You might find some kind of airline package deal but I have my doubts.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 06:50 PM

If $1,500 is the total budget that needs to cover airfare, lodging, and meals for two of you, I agree it will be really difficult to find something for February or March. A few things that might help:

1) Look for packages that include charter airfare rather than commercial. Sometimes that makes a big difference

2) Check Cancun and the Dominican Republic - the DR is one of the least expensive Caribbean destinations. Most of the resorts there are AI. I spent Christmas week there a few years ago for about $1100/person at the Coral Canoa (now owned by Hilton)near Bayahibe (near LaRomona). The rooms were a little worn and basic, but overall I thought it was a nice trip for the money. Cancun has a lot of options, so you can often find bargains there.

3) If you can't find anything within your budget for a week, consider a shorter trip. Even four or five days in the sun is a nice escape from winter.

4) Although the entire time is high season, you may have better luck in early February (before Valentines' Day and Presidents Day week). Late February and early March get into college spring break time.

5)You might find some specials offered around Christmas, but I would guess that the best deals are offered much closer (like a week or less before departure).

Good luck!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:13 AM

If you could increase about $500 you would have a much more likely chance of finding something. Cheapest airfare is usually to Cancun so I suggest Playa Del Carmen which is about 30 minutes south of Cancun. There's a great hotel there called Shangri-La Caribe, rates include Breakfast and Dinner and I think you might be able to do it and the airfare for around $2,000. I live in NJ and usually fly out of Philly or Atlantic City. Spirit out of AC nows goes to a number of Caribbean destinations, you might check that out. Unfortunately airfare is a substantial part of the budget, we usually pay at least $500 pp to the Caribbean in high season.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 05:05 AM

If you are interested in a cruise, you should extend your search to include NYC. Several ships sail from NYC year-round, including Norwegian Dawn. You might be able to get a cabin on that ship for $1500 in Feb. or March (more likely in Feb.).
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Look at Isla Mujeres which is an island about a 20 minute ferry boat ride from Cancun. Check out isla-mujeres.net