Where to go in early December

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a vacation with dtr. & her family. Weather is most important factor...deciding between Playa del Carmen, T&C & Curacao. Concerned that PDC & T&C could be cool. Have been going to Aruba where we never have to worry about rain/temperature.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:11 AM

The Turks & Caicos, which are a few hundred miles off the Florida coast, could be a bit cool by early December but certainly not Playa del Carmen, which is deeply in the Caribbean. But I think you'd be fine in any of these three places. There's always a chance of rain, though it's less in Curacao.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:59 AM

No one can guarantee you perfect weather or a rain free vacation for a specific week or so in December so that should not be your "most important factor". That said Doug S's comment that the T&C's could be cool in December is worth considering. I would avoid any island in the Bahamas or the T&C's. Anything from Puerto Rico south should be just fine temperature wise. As a frequent traveller to the Caribbean I advise my friends and relatives to select a destination based on their specific vacation desires rather than possible weather patterns.

if Playa del Carmen or Curacao interest you than select the one that most closely mates what you are seeking in a vacation - odds are the weather will be in your favor.
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:53 AM

We had a very positive and enjoyable experience in Curacao. We look back on our vacation there with very fond memories! I don't think you would have much to worry about weather-wise.

Old May 15th, 2007, 01:32 PM

I agree Curacao is a safe bet. The winds and rain really ens in mid-Nov. If you go after the first week of Dec. but before high season you can get good rates and less hustle in the few big hotels if thats what you are planning. Check the Curacao thread and you will find some very helpful and current 2005-2007 info info. We have gone 3 times in 4 yrs. but avoided the Marriott which may be best if your grand daughter is under 16.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM

We had fabulous weather and warm water in December in Antigua. Also we were in Aruba in December and also had great weather.
T&C in December had cold ocean and pool water, and the beach was too windy, but it was warm by the pool until 4. I needed a sweater at night there too..
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Why not the Marriott in Curacao for younger children?
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM

When you say "cool" in early December what do you mean by cool? We are going Dec. 1-8. Are we talking 70's or 50's. We have read that the average temperature is in the 80s at this time.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Cool can be under 80...our only goal is to relax on the beach, not to sightsee, etc. Someone from one of the hotels in PDC said it can be in the 60's in early December.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM

T&C was definitely fine for sunbathing by the pool in December, but we wore jackets at night. The pool water was way too cold for me and my husband dipped in when he was hot but got right out. We forced ourselves to sit on the beach and snorkel, but we felt we needed wet suits as some of the serious snorkelers had!!!
We normally do not use the pools much in the Caribbean but we had no choice since the beach was too windy and cold. Most people on the beach were sitting near sand dunes to get some protection from the wind. I would not go there in December again.

Aruba and Antigua in December were both hot, no sweaters needed ever, water temp very good too. In Antigua it sometimes rained at night after 11, and once there was a 30 minute downpour of warm rain mid day. While some took cover, we and others laughed in the hot tub with drinks. 30 minutes later the sun was out as if nothing had happened and our hair was dry in 15 minutes!
Never saw rain in Aruba.
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Much like Aruba, we had consistently hot weather on Curacao. We had no rain, but it was late in December if that makes a difference.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:23 PM

stankase

where did you stay in curaco what hotel? where you able to get a direct flight any other info about the island such as saftey and what there is to do and see would be grea thanks
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM

We also stayed at the Marriott. We went once as a couple and once with our 3 kids. It is (or at least was, it's been 4 years) a Marriott with a bit more Caribbean personality than most Marriotts we have been to. We had two rooms and the lesser oceanview room was so nice that I would have been pleased with it myself.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't take a child? (Concerns about Latin American thong swim suits? The concept of high heels with bikinis was something I hadn't seen much of besides on a runway previously. Maybe things have changed? It is can be a quick trip for Venzualans... Is there a new drug/crime problem??)
My youngest was still of the sand castle age and had a wonderful time. The oldest was a junior in high school and he enjoyed the music in the evening poolside (probably didn't mind the babes in the heels either....) Food at the resort was typical Marriott with occasional seafood thrown in which bored us a bit, but was wonderful by the kids. The breakfast buffet was bountiful and nicely maintained. The two teenagers got their money's worth and ate late light lunches or skipped.
I have heard that there may be an erosion problem with the beach now. At the time, my youngest played on the beach frequently and enjoyed wave jumping with new friends.I would recommend water shoes. It was a bit shelly in spots. This would hurt tender toes playing in shallow water. The teenage daughter liked the pool, reading and sunning. The oldest son tended to sleep on a lounge on the beach (on top of his AP required reading...)He and my husband found the diving mediocre.
We had a terrible experience returning home on AA through Miami that was the only sour note of the trip. It was however, "sour enough" that we now avoid AA like the plague despite their sometimes competitive fares.
I didn't find the beach as nice as Aruba,(we like Eagle Beach), but it is fun to try something different.
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM

We stayed at KuraHulanda Lodge last May on the AI plan. Quiet and nice. Small coral beach required water shoes.