Heads up on Peter Island

Search

Heads up on Peter Island

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heads up on Peter Island

Wanted to note that I've just read one of the most terrific reviews on a place that I can remember ever reading. Superbly detailed and judicious (seemed so). I'd been on the fence about whether to give the resort a try and the stunning review has pretty much convinced me not to bother (or to wait until possible future renovations). I guess it was the very thoughtful and detailed discussion of the food that most impressed (depressed?) me.
In short, I know that others have raved about the place, but this review was so well detailed, so finely tuned, that I found it convincing-- and was grateful that the vacationer had taken the time to write.
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Where did you find the review?
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

The review was on Trip Advisor (can't remember whether on the forum part or regular part). I've long found Trip Advisor an especially useful site. There are the occasional bitter diatribes by some disgruntled traveller, people trying to "get back at" a place for perceived mistreatment. I usually discount such rantings.
The thing that impressed me abt this Peter Island review was its balance. The person obviously saw enormous numbers of things to rave about and was quite generous with his praise. His tone was mature and measured even when he was cataloguing his disappointments. His specificity was extremely helpful. He didn't seem to have any axe to grind, just seemed to have a desire to be helpful. And indeed he was!
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:20 AM

I saw that review and the first thing I thought was that you would cancel.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM

What's your point? There are even more postive reviews about the place on Trip Advisor. I think you were looking for a reason to cancel and you got it. Other people will have a different impression. Alot of people on this board have spent time answering your multitude of posts and your post is a disservice to them.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Islandgrl: What a curious and unkind response to my posting. It's as if you're saying that "only positive reviews need apply." I've always appreciated the in-put from Fodors and other boards, the qualified reviews perhaps even more than the over-the-top raves; I tend to trust them more. What I always hope for is judicious, well thought out, polite reviews. And I very much appreciate hearing a wide spectrum.
How this posting-- which was meant, in fact, to return the favor of other responders (since I found the Trip Advisor review so especially illuminating and mature)-- can possibly be seen as a "disservice" is beyond me. But I'd be perfectly content if you and others who feel as you do simply never bother to respond to me again. And I'll continue to both question and answer in what I believe has always been a dignified, appreciative, and mutually helpful way.
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Not sure what the restaurant situation is there, or if there is more than one place...but recently heard that the "chef at Peter Island" has now taken a post at Martineau Bay on Vieques.
Still wondering why they brought in someone new when they expected "closing for renovations" is August. Maybe they will keep the restaurants open.
Just thought I would throw that in there since the food was mentioned in the review.