Looking for my Grandparent's names on Ellis Island Website

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to NY in October and since both sets of my grandparents came to the United States via Ellis Island I wanted to see if they were listed. I cannot find their names. I have tried everything. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It was kind of disappointing not finding their names
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Madison, your post reminded me I'd done this a while ago and did find what I think is one of my grandparents on a ship register. The information is not totally accurate, but I recognize the handwriting I think. I assume you've read all the suggestions about looking for different spellings etc. It did take quite a while to find what I did.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Madison, I've used the site extensively. Found my paternal grandfather in 5 minutes, but it took me a lot longer and some detective work to find my paternal grandmother who came over with my 10-month-old father.

I've also helped friends search for their grandparents' names, with mixed results.

Are you limiting your search by years and/or age of the person? Have you tried every possible variant spelling of the name? Is there any possibility they were using another relative's name when they came over?

Feel free to email me directly if you want to discuss further. Finding your ancestors on the site is a thrill, but even if you don't, you will be moved deeply by Ellis Island, where you will walk in the footsteps of your grandparents.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM
mpf

I had a similar situation, and learned that the immigration list only extends to 1924. My dad arrived in 1928; therefore, and his name was not on it. However, I did have his name put on one of the exterior panels of immigrants surrounding the Ellis Island Monument. I'm looking forward to seeing it next year.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. They all came over before 1924. I may have found 3 of their children. There is someone with my aunt's name and the other two that traveled on the same day, same location, etc. same last name could quite possibly be my other aunt and uncle, but no grandparents. I thought they were a little more thorough when people arrived at Ellis Island, but you're talking 1914.

McLaurie - I was a little disappointed that, so far, I haven't gotten all the information I had wanted that I was having second thoughts about visiting Ellis Island, but thanks to you I am looking forward to visiting where my family first stepped on American soil. I know they came through Ellis Island, that's the most important thing.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Madison, I feel pretty certain you will not be disappointed if you go. There is a lot of material on the huge wave of immigrants that came in from about 1880 to 1920.

One thing you should know. The records for that period are not official government records. There was no passport system like the one we have now. The records are simply the ship manifests. They are not always accurate.

But you are on the right track if you are looking for other passengers with the same name, traveling on the same ship. Also look at what is listed for their home city -- that may give you clues as to who else was traveling with them.

Good luck!
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Madison, it was Marilyn, not me, who so eloquently mentioned "walking in the footsteps" of your grandparents.

I should clarify my comment about the info not being totally accurate. It was not uncommon for people to..ahem...fabricate some sort of story to get in. It was only by looking at the actual ship's manifest which you can do online, that I think I found my grandfather because of the handwriting more than the info (the name does match).

Don't assume all the info you've been given is correct (ie date, place of embarkation etc.) Try a search assuming you know nothing except their names, the approximate year they came and their approximate age when they arrived.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Not all departure cities are correct. I looked up my grandfather on the Ellis Island website. The manifest list his hometown as Hamburg. Well, yes the boat did leave from there, but he lived in a different town and boarded the boat in Hamburg. Lucky for my family he knew how to write and knew enough English to get his name right on the Ellis Island forms. I hope Ellis Island will put up records after 1924 so I can find my grandmother.

Also, I'm not sure if you can search for accented words.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 11:54 AM

ncgrrl, I have read that extra information was recorded on some passengers departing from Hamburg (regardless of country of origin) during certain years. The Mormon Church has this info, but I don't think it's available on line. You may want to pursue this for your grandfather.

Thanks, mclaurie. I have to tell you I was in tears on and off the entire afternoon I spent on Ellis Island. I don't think the US has any greater legacy than the new life it offered to so many.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Here's another strong vote to visit Ellis Island.

Even if you don't get your grandparents' info, getting the sense of what they when through is an incredible experience.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Ellis Island is one of my favorite places in the US. I am emotionally exhausted when I leave there... I just boo-hoo when I think of what our ancestors went through to make a better life!
My family came to the US in the 1700's and were pioneers, moving to Indian Territory during the early/mid 1800's.
Amazing stuff, all of it.
Go to Ellis Island and take the time to study the photos and artifacts... really look into the eyes of those people who just arrived into the unknown.
It never fails to touch me.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Really keep trying for alternate spelling. One problem I found with the ship manifests is that the current-day database is only as good as the person who was reading and typing the entries. I was fortunate to know the years and even the date of arrival in one case, so I could search just for last names in a particular year. This became important =when I found my grandmother listed with a mispelled first name. (The writing on the manifest WAS very unclear.)

I located my grandfather and his brother by trying other spellings for the same year (changing a's to o's, and so on). I found them under a mispelling. Their surname wasn't mispelled on the ship's manifest--the current day person who entered them in the database misinterpreted the spelling. (The writing seemed clearly and correctly spelled to me, but I guess not to the typist.)

If you think this is a fluke, listen to this example. I located another relative, his wife, and daughter. All three were listed together on the manifest, with one surname and those "ditto" marks below to indicate the same name. Yet when the current-day typist input their names in the database, somehow the daughter got a different last name--different by one letter, which is enough to be unable to find her in the database.

Keep on searching and keep up your good humor.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 02:24 PM

ellenem, I have a similar story. I found someone I thought was my grandmother, although the first name was slightly different. But the ship manifest said she was not married (she was) and that the 10 month old she was traveling with was a girl (it was my father). Only when I researched the name of the little "girl" (Vilmos) and found it to be the Hungarian for William did I know for sure that WAS my grandmother and father. (You should have seen me jumping up and down with excitement at the computer!)

Later it occurred to me that my father was probably wearing what could be considered a dress, as all European infants of both sexes would have been.

So be sure not to limit your search too much at first, Madison, even if that gives you more records to look through.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of your. I can't wait to visit Ellis Island. I've always wanted to but with the enthusiasm and emotion you have expressed to me, I know it will be a memorable experience for me and I will be thinking of you and thanking you as I retrace the steps of my relatives.

I was in Paris in May and there was a special service at Notre Dame that had me crying for 1/2 hour straight. I left there physically and mentally exhausted but I consider that moment being the highlight of my trip.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 08:20 PM

Now you all have me contemplating a visit to Ellis Island myself! My ancestors also came through there, and I have been fairly successful in finding their records via the website. But to actually go there would definitely enhance my understanding and appreciation.