Where to go ?????

Oct 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Where to go ?????

I have 1-2 weeks in March to travel. Here is what I need/want: I need to get away and soak up some sun, I want to relax and re-energize and I want to do little planning, Sooo, I know I could easily go to any all-inclusive; however, I want the opportunity to explore (hike, walk, etc.) if the spirit moves me. Any suggestions on where to go, where to go?
Oct 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM
KVR

That could literally be anywhere. Are you traveling alone? Are you aware that March is high season and Spring/Easter Break? Lots of crowds and very expensive. Even if you do go AI you can easily go off the resort and explore (hike, walk, etc.) What is your budget? It may be better to pick a smaller less known Island that time of year unless you enjoy families and crowds.

If you can provide better specifics, we can better give you suggestions.
Oct 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Well, as KVR says you could go almost anywhere.

Since you indicated a desire for All Inclusive you might want to concentrate your search to the Dominican Republic, Cancun and Jamaica - those are the AI capitals of the Caribbean - there are literally hundreds of AI's to choose from on those islands.

That said, if hiking is a main priority perhaps you'd be better off going to an island like Dominica which is an eco-tourist's delight (but you won't find any AI's there). Saba is another island popular with fantastic hiking but it does not have any beaches.

Also, St. John in the USVI's is 2/3's a National Park which will afford you lots of hiking opportunities. This is a relatively expensive island destination so, without knowing your budget it's difficult to tell if it would be in your price range. Check out Maho Bay and Cinnamon Bay Campgrounds (which are less expensive places to stay), if that type of accommodation appeals to you.

Again, as KVR suggests if you give us more info about you, where you are flying from, how much travel time you are willing to take to reach your destination, what your budget is for airfare and accommodations, what you actually would like from your vacation, the contributors here will be better able to steer you in the right direction.
Oct 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Negril Jamaica
Oct 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies so far. I know, I know, I have been vague and that is because all I know right now is I want to relax, but want options if I choose. I am flying from Vancouver, BC. I am leary of the all-inclusives (I have only been to the ones in Mexico) and while I had a great time with my kids, I am not sure that they are for me and my husband now. We typically travel independently. I pretty much anticipate that I will need a day on each end to travel, and I would really like beautiful beaches (duh!). I'm not sure hiking is a priority but I do know that I can't lie on a beach for days on end - I'm probably good for 3 days and then I will need to mix it up a bit. Because I don't know when I will have another 'beach' vacation, I want to make this one count. If you picked one place in the Carribbean, where would it be and why? : )
Oct 26th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Curacao or Aruba. Why? I simply loved them!
Oct 27th, 2010, 08:06 AM

You may want to look at Palm Island in the Grenadines. It is a private island that is drop dead gorgeous and the perfect place to relax. It is an AI because the reort makes up most of the island, but the good is really good and the staff is made up of some amazing people. I've been to well over a dozen islands in the Caribbean and this is my favorite. In fact, we will be back there again in February!
Oct 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Is there a reason you aren't considering Mexico again? Or Hawaii? Both are so much easier to get to from Vancouver (i'm in Seattle) than the Caribbean. I never stay AI. I've been mostly to Puerto Vallarta (many times), but also La Paz and Cabo San Lucas once each. Lately I've been going to Waikiki instead.

When I need exactly what you describe in your OP, I head either to PV or to Waikiki.

I loved Negril Jamaica (10 days this past summer) but it took a lot more effort to get there, and it was more expensive than the others.
Oct 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM

lyntay - I'm a bit confused. In your original post you stated Sooo, I know I could easily go to any all-inclusive" but in your "second" post you said "I am leary of the all-inclusives (I have only been to the ones in Mexico) and while I had a great time with my kids, I am not sure that they are for me and my husband now". so which is it do you want All Inclusive or not.

Assuming you have now decided to forego AI's that opens up a who lot of places, hundreds to be precise. Since you have not been very specific about what type of island experience you are seeking other than the ability to relax on a 'beautiful beach" and do an occasional hike or walk (things you can find/do on almost every island) it's very difficult to give you meaningful suggestions because there are literally scores of islands and multi-hundreds of resorts where you can do just that.

If you gave us some idea of your budget for accommodations it would make it easier to steer you in the right direction.

Since you are coming from Vancouver (which is a long way from the Caribbean) I suggest you first determine those destinations you can reach either non-stop or, at he very least, a reasonable amount of time (using connecting flights) fro your nearest international gateway airport. That way, you'll be able to spend more time 'relaxing on the beach" rather than traveling to/from your intended destination.

Suze's suggestions of places in Mexico (especially those on the west coast) or Hawaii make a great deal of sense due to the easy of getting there from Vancouver. In the Caribbean, look at the transportation to the larger more popular destinations such as the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Barbados and St. Lucia as you may be able to get to one or more of those islands non-stop.

Select your island destination first, then look for a resort or hotel in your price range. You won't be disappointed. Don't get caught up in "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence syndrome". In over 30 years of travel in the Caribbean the one thing I've learned is there is no one perfect island - there are just different islands. And Viva la difference!!! Half the fun of travel is to find and explore new destinations, each place has it's own special appeal. So pick an island, make your plans and go. Remember, you can always go to a different island on your next trip.

Good luck finding your sport fo
Oct 29th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Oops! That last sentence should read: Good luck finding your spot for relaxing on the beach.
Oct 29th, 2010, 01:02 PM

I don't think there are any nonstops from this part of the world (starting in Seattle or Vancouver BC) or at least I couldn't find them for my recent Jamaica trip. The best I could do was limit it to just one plane change (Dallas/Ftworth, Atlanta, Miami were the most frequent options).