Dominican Republic or St Thomas

Oct 29th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Dominican Republic or St Thomas

So I am trying to figure out where to go on our Honeymoon. Our Travel Agent suggested the Excellance in Punta Cana Dominican Republic. She said this was a 5 star resort, which from the hotel website it looks incredible. The price she gave a really good too. Last november we stoped at St. Thomas from our cruise ship. We had the best time there. The night life was great and Megan's Bay was amazing. I was thinking that we should go back there for our Honeymoon, because we had a great time and there was so much to do, we wouldnt have to stay in our hotel the entire time. I don't know much about the Domincan Republic but so I need some advice. I love shoping and I don't want to be stuck inside a resort for 6 days either. We're insterested in getting out and site seeing/snorkleing. Is it safe to do that in the DR? This is where I need some help. Any advice would be good. I want to make an educated decision.
Oct 29th, 2010, 06:30 AM

many ppl will tell you off resort exploring on dom rep, without using a resort planned excursion, is unsafe. others will disagree. i've not been on dr and don't really have much desire to go, as i like to get out and explore on my own most days.
i have been on st. thomas twice and while i like it and the shopping is endless, i can't really say it's the safest island either. day time is fine but i'd be wary of being out at night partying.
from what ppl who have been to dr say - snorkeling is iffy. snorkel from st. t is quite good.
if you could give us some more info we can be more helpful - when will you travel? specifically what budget are you looking for? is there anything you'd like to do besides snorkel & shop? do you prefer all inclusive? is food important?
for all ins - suggest you also consider maya riviera coast (south from cancun to tulum). playa del carman has tons of duty free shopping and a good/safe nightlife. some of the ai's nearby will even shuttle you into playa so you can party or shop. tons of activities - from ziplines to tours of maya ruins. look at riu's and iberostars for mega resorts.
Oct 29th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

We are planning on Trveling March 28 - April 2. Our Budget is around $3500 - $4000. I think we would prefer all inclusive with good food. Neither of us are food critics but we do enjoy a good steak or lobster. My fiance and I are set on not going to Mexico, we've both been there before and would prefer not to go there. We really want to relax but also beable to explore and site see. We're not too worries about being out all night outside of the resorts just during the day. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Oct 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM

How about Jamaica? It's a beautiful island with all you request.

I agree with the first poster that there are mixed opinions about the DR. Since Punta Cana got 'invented' bac in the 80's or so there seems to be a lot of people who do go there only to stay on resort property and are 'afraid' to leave for whatever reason. But the people I know (including myself but a number of years ago) don't stay AI, rent car or jeep, drive around, do our own thing. Just depends your comfort level.

All that said, sounds like you'd enjoy going back to St. Thomas and you already know what to expect and have a positive impression of it.
Oct 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM

i thought jamaica as i read through your 2nd post too. negril might work. plenty of ai resorts.
on st. thomas there is only one ai. wyndham sugar bay. it's been several yrs since i've been on st.t so some things at the hotel may have changed. it's med size has 3 restaurants. their beach is fairly nice but short, with some decent snorkeling off the right side in natural areas plus they've sunk some cement things for coral to grow on. just off the beach is a nice pool with small water fall. by the pool is a bbq grill, sit down restaurant and bar. there were jet skies to rent & parasailing offered from the beach. i recall maybe a pool table and ??foosball. it is ?80 steps down from the hotel to the pool/beach. they offer a golf cart like shuttle every 15 mins up & down though. there are some slot machines in the hotel bar area. the hotel is on the east end of the island so near coki beach & coral world. also near town of
red hook where the 20 min ferry to st. john is, should you choose to go see it. (i would advise you go - it's a very pretty island with great snorkel beaches) also near numerous restaurants should you choose to eat off property a couple nights. in your price range. you would probably want to rent a car for a couple days so you can go explore.
i think bolongo beach resort offers an ai plan option. it's a smaller, family owned place. i have not been there but understand the atmosphere is less formal than sugar bay.

my personal choice on st. thomas is secret harbour beach resort. you could have a 1 bdrm beachfront suite (would have separate bedroom, small but full kitchen, dining space, living room with good furniture, tv/vcr or dvd & deck or porch) for about $400/nt. not ai but does have very good onsite rest serving 3 meals & fun beachfront bar. the beach is outstanding with good snorkeling. it os also near red hook.
there is a good grocery about 10 mins away where you could get coffee & bagels or ?? to have breakfast on your private deck or balcony not to mention a cocktail before or after you go to dinner. i think it is a pretty romantic place.

have not been on jamaica so can't offer any specifics.
Oct 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM

I was in Negril just this summer for 10 days. Happy to answer any specific questions if Jamaica is of interest. I think it might fit your requirements better than the DR. There's lots of AI's (or not) on the 7-mile beach and some really nice independent places on 'the Cliffs'. Plenty to see and do out around the island.