Where to bring my kids next?

Apr 11th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Where to bring my kids next?

I am already starting to plan next year's Spring Break...perhaps it is the very un-Spring like weather outside right now that is my motiviation. Anyway, we have, I think, pretty simple needs. A good beach, guranteed warm weather and a pool that is good for kids (not a "quiet pool", slides are great). Also, it has to be easy to get to from MSP so Jamaica, the Caymans, DR and the Bahamas are all best. Mexico, too. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Taitai
Apr 11th, 2008, 05:13 AM

I don't know where MSP is but Puerto Rico is usually an easy flight and it should be warm. There is lots to do: rain forest, Old San Juan,...The El Conquistador just added a water park (we went pre-water park). They have a nice beach but it is a private island that you need to take a 15 minute to. My family enjoyed this resort.

http://www.elconresort.com/?src=ppc_...rico|488663817
Apr 11th, 2008, 06:34 AM

MSP.. Minneapolis / St Paul.. NWA

As a Caribbean hotelier, love to hear you say you have simple needs... with kids, all too often we find people worry too much about what they need from a vacation... with young kids, all they really need... is a beach and a pool

Cayman is great for kids and for families to connect, as long as you are not looking for the "Disney" experience, as we are all about simple and natural pleasures.

No resort or hotel in Cayman has a pool with slides etc, but all resorts are "kid friendly" (there are no "Couples only" places), particularly at Spring Break... and Cayman is Spring Break without the groups of college kids running around... so again, ideal for school age kids and their parents.

Hope that helps a little....and hope the weather warms up a little for you
Apr 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Tom

We loved the Caymans. We actually stayed at your resort (and brought the grandparents) two years ago. It was the perfect place for us and my husband keeps asking me to find a place "just like the Reef." Being able to step right outside our door and onto the beach was perfect and it was so safe and quiet we never worried about our kids.

My concern with this year's trip is that my guys are now older (about to enter Kindergarten) and have more developed pool needs than I think the Reef can meet. We just went to Disney and our resort had a slide and that is their new Gold Standard in terms of pools.

The Caymans is still in play as we had such a great trip there before and it is so easy with kids...just wondering if there is anything different.

Thanks.
Taitai
Apr 11th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Beaches Negril is for you...everything you are looking for and more! Great lazy river, water slide, super beach, beautiful calm blue water, great big pool...great food for the kids and awesome staff.
Any ? feel free to email me.
Apr 14th, 2008, 05:36 AM

We went to Half Moon in Jamaica last spring with our daughter and LOVED it. It has everything you could possible need, you never need to leave the resort.

Check out their website. We will definitely return someday.
Apr 14th, 2008, 07:01 PM

taitai

Thanks for the kind words

Re pools, AFAIK no slides in any resort pool in Cayman, but re my resort, did you take your little ones along to our larger,deeper pool ? Possibly not, as if they were toddlers, you likely stayed at the pool that has a shallow pool for the little kids.

Anyway, we do have a big pool that kids that are KG or older would love if they actually want to swim around.

Go on, give in, you now you want to.. come back and see us... and since you were here last a couple of years ago we are about to open a lovely spa, plus a new gym with yoga and various other classes... plus there is a new supermarket across the street to buy all that stuff to keep the kids fed and watered.

See you next spring break then ?

Know what you mean about Disney, though... took my family to Beach Club Villas (by Epcot) a couple of years ago, my three boys (then 11,8 and 2) LOVED the mini water park at the resort...including the slides
Apr 15th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Tom

The Reef really is in play for next spring. We did have a great time there and one of my two year olds (at the time) was even brave enough to swim with the sting rays. They still talk about feeding the fish from the dock.

Right now, all is on hold until we figure out what the Delta/NWA merger looks like. A non-stop flight is paramount in terms of our travel with the guys. So, as long as that remains, you very well may see us again in March.

taitai