What is the one thing we HAVE to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are taking our first ever trip to the Carribean together (we've both been seperately) in early December. Definitely very excited! We are staying at the Ritz in St. Thomas for 7 nights.

We've already figured out somewhat of a outline for a itinerary, half day sail on the Lady Lyndsey, Day excursion on the New Horizons II, a few day trips with a jeep rental to St. John. Dinner at Zo Zo's, Asolare. Plus we have a whole host of other restaurant recommendations on St. John.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was one thing you really loved when you went to St. Thomas/St. John that you would consider a must that you could recommend. Any little tip that might make this long-time coming vacation more memorable?

Also, any tips for how we can best conduct our day trips to St. John? If we leave in the morning and rent a jeep and go to some different snorkle sights, how can we get cleaned up to go to dinner later on without going back to our hotel on St. Thomas?

Thanks as always for all the great commentary on this site.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 09:50 PM
KVR

We went to St. Thomas in May. We enjoyed the Island tour of St.Thomas. Took us to several of the tourist sites including2 hours of shopping in downtown. Coral World was interesting. We did the Sea Trek and enjoyed it, then spent the afternoon at Coki Beach. Really enjoyed the snorkeling there. Every Wed. night Paradise Point has a live band with dancing. They also had 1/2 price drink specials.

We did the New Horizons II and loved it. Also did a day tour of St. John. We now wished we had spent more than one day on St. John, but didn't have enough time.

If interested here's the link to our pic site:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kvrlvn
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:26 AM

try not to miss Jost Van Dyke (especially Grape White Bay) and the Baths in Virgin Gorda!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:13 AM

hi ken, you will love the new horizons fast boat. it includes stops at jost and the baths. take sunscreen!! and tshirt for cover. its a long day in the sun!
i think the best restaurant on st. thomas is havana blue at frenchmans/morning star. also the blue moon cafe at secret harbour and tony romano's {reservations a must} italian on the coki world road. was going to suggest you steal a dip in the stunning infinity pool at ritz but ahhh you are staying there.
magens bay beach is must see. go as early in the day as possible or ideally on a no cruise ship day. stop at drakes seat on way back.
secret harbour {very near ritz} has outstanding snorkeling, with a fun casual beach bar so you won't get thirsty. if you are into cuban cigars, get them while at lunch with new horizons at pussers store. you aren't required to take you snorkel bag into customs or return at st. john. the view from the top of the tram across from havensight mall is stunning at sunset on a clear day. nice drinks available here too.
i'm very intrigued by your shower on st. john question - really hope someone has a solution to that one!
perhaps to make the most of your time on st.j have a rental delivered to the ritz and use the car ferry option. easier to carry your days needs,no time on st.j at rental pickup/return, no wait for taxi back to ritz late at night. have a great trip.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:23 AM

Hellol kcopen! You definitely should go to Mountain top and shop and enjoy the view while in St. Thomas! Also hit Water island for the uinday party and hang ut at Honeymoon beach there. You can get to Water Island by taking the ferry from Crown Bay marina.In St. John you MUST go to Hawksnest Beach and snorkle there, Cinnamon Bay also. These are classic Caribbean beaches and are not crowded at all.Great snorkeling too. Trunk Bay is a great beach but it is crowded but beautiful.If you can I would also suggest you see Peterborg Point in St. Thomas. It is close to Maagens Beach and there some huge boulders there and the water is beautiful there. Water Island is realy a great place, you can rent a golf cart and bop all around it and you will love it. Mountain Top is as good of a place to shop as there is in St. Thomas, also makeure you try their banana daquiris there. I hop this helps!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:24 AM

sorry kcopen, I forgot to mention the tram at Paradise Point.You also realy should ride it. You will get a beautiful Northside view during the ride.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:28 PM

one of the north shore beaches has showers but sorry i don't recall which one..this way you both can "clean" up to head into town for dinner.. we keep alot of bottled water in our car so when desperate, we do a bottle water "wash" to get off the salt/change clothes, covertly and go our merry way.. heh, it beats going home when timing is important !! are you renting the car in st.thomas or st.john? the car ferry times are limited/stop at a certain time, so you have to go back much too soon. the passenger only ferry is much more flexable to do dinner on st.john and still have plenty of time to get back. better check ferry schedules !!