Going to St. Thomas for 1 week - what to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I will be going to St. Thomas for one week and need suggestions on what to do around there. We will be staying at point pleasant. I really want to be at a beach that doesn't have that many people but has beautiful white sand and blue water. Can anyone recommend a good beach and also fun things to do on the island or maybe going to St. Croix or St. John or something?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM

you can easily ferry to st. john for the day and i advise you do so. it is a wonderful island. much quieter than st. thomas and has outstanding snorkeling. you will need a car to get around. you will probably want one on st. t as well so try to find one of the companies that lets you take your rental on the ferry.
st. croix is a long way and no ferry available.
a super fun excursion is: http://newhorizonscharters.com/
this is a fast boat. takes you to the baths on virgin gorda, then for lunch on a tiny island (you get the menu on the boat and they radio in the orders), a snorkel stop and then to white bay beach. most ppl have a painkiller at the soggy dollar bar but there are several small shops and a tiny restaurant too. we got ice cream and t-shirts. then back to st. thomas by 4ish. you will go all the way around tortola and get to take a look at most of the bvi.
coral world is just up the street from point pleasant: http://www.coralworldvi.com/coki-beach.shtml
easily a full day of entertainment. feeding the rays, turtles, underwater exploring. next door coki beach has good snorkeling.
there is also snorkeling at wyndham sugar bay beach and secret harbour beach.
take a drive over to magens beach early one day. plan to leave by 11 as the busses full of ship passenger will be there by then. you could head on into charlotte amalie and get some shopping in. while in town take the tram ride across the street from havensight mall. great view from the top. have a cool lemonade.
you might enjoy eating at tony tomano's. italian food on the coki road. blue moon cafe at secret harbour. for a fancy dinner havana blue at the marriott. try to reserve a table for sunset or moonrise. they have huge open windows with great view. excellent food. pricey and worth it.
there is a tiny grocery right in red hook. really more deli/high end yummies kind of place. about 2 miles west of red hook is a regular grocery with all the staples. i don't know if it interests you but you may take a cooler to st. t, through checked luggage, with any types of food. we have taken meats, butter, frozen juices, premade apps, homemade cookie dough, etc. if you plan to cook for real i advise you take premeasured pkgs of spices - again in checked luggage. pain to buy $8.00 worth of something for a tsp. in a recipe.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM

There ARE daily ferries from St. Thomas to St. Croix, plus there are half-hourly flights on Seaborne (very cheap and the flight is all of 15 minutes). If you go to the Seaborne site, you can even book a ferry/flight combination, and take the ferry in the morning, and a late flight back.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM
KVR

When we went to St. Thomas we booked an Island tour of St. Thomas and St. John. For St. Thomas, they took us to Mountain Top, Drake's Seat and St. Peter Great House & Botanical Gardens. Then to Charlotte Amalie where they gave us approximately 3 hours to shop and have lunch on our own. It was more than plenty of time.

For St. John, we took the ferryboat and then had a guided tour in open-air safari buses. They took us to the North Shore Road, Annaberg Plantation, Coral Bay, Cinnamon Bay, and then Trunk Bay to swim and snorkel. After that they took us shopping before getting back on the ferry.

We also went to Coki Beach. The beach was very nice and not too crowded. We signed up for the Sea Trek, which was pretty cool, but I would like to try the snuba next time.

Also went to Paradise Point one evening. They had a live band. It rained that night, but we still had fun. We tried Duffy's Love Shack, but the crowd was a little too young for us. It was fun though.

We also did the New Horizons boat to the BVI's. It's a fabulous trip. Highly recommend it. Book early as they fill up fast. Take lots of money for the lunch as Pussers. It was very expensive.

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM

There will be lots of information about the island and current happenings in the guide books when you arrive. But do suggest that you rent a car (some agencies will let you take it on the car barge to STJ if you want) or you can use the passenger ferry and taxi/tour St. John.
If you are into beach hopping on St. Thomas then you can head to Megan's (there is a small entrance fee), to Sapphire - I heard that the Sunday afternoon beach parties have started up again, to Secret Harbour and to Coki where there are lots of fishes to swim with. There is Coral World if you are into aquariums. Paradise Point Tram with great sunsets and bar/a little shopping at the top, a tour of the island - Drake's Seat, Mountain Top for a few hours. Walk around Charlotte Amalie and check out historical buidings as well as the shoppes if you want. Check out Yacht Haven for any mega yachts, some shopping, and restaurants. All of the beaches on St. John are great for hopping and even staying -starting as you leave Cruz Bay and venture into the Nat'l Park. Stop at the visitors center and pick up maps. Trunk has a "trail" for snorkeling and both Trunk and Cinnamon have rentals for equip, chiars, etc. There are also nice hiking trails like the one to Salomon Bay that starts behind the visitors center. Check the Nat'l Park website for any special events/activities they have scheduled during your visit. You can roam about Cruz Bay - Wharfside and Moongoose - stop at St. John Spice.
To treat yourself, head to Caneel for their lunch (a bit pricey) and then walk down to their Honeymoon Beach which is lovely. There are also various days trips that explore Little St. James (Christmas Cove) and St. John. Might want to take some time to ferry to Water Island - lovely beach and certainly will not be crowded.
Many people love the New Horizons trips but it does cram a lot of islands in a short time. Might want to take the public ferry or a smaller charter to the Baths on Virgin Gorda which would give you more time there to explore or even a leisurely day sail to Jost van Dyke.
BTW, if you are out by Megans, be sure to stop at the Udder Delight! You will be delighted!
Dining out is a good thing. Toad and Tart not too far - a English-style pub with good specials Th, F, S. Toni Romano's, if you go to the Caribbean for Italian is in Smith Bay. Blue Moon Cafe at Secret Harbour, Richard's at the Elysian (also a nice beach there that is usually pretty empty) and in nearby Red Hook, lots of options for dining.
That should get you started but if you want more info, a good website to suppliment this one is vinow.com
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great info.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

It seems like St. John is a better Island than St. Thomas according to all the postings I had seen. Is that true?
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM

yes.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Guess many think that STJ is "better" than STT but I think that it depends on you and what it meant by "better." Both can offer both positives and negatives. An advantage is that they are in easy reach of each other. I do want beachfront where ever I go and unless it is forking out big bucks for Caneel or a few beachfront cottages, I don't choose STJ. Others like buzzing about the island to beach it, toting beach gear, swimming in a villa "pool" and a buzzard's eye view of the water. Of course, the Nat'l Park and its beaches are great but like any vacation, it's what fits you.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Hi, if first time on STT do walk thru Charolette Amalie shopping district there will also be some cafe's to stop along the way! Love the Point fantastic views!!! Magens Bay on STT is also very beautiful! by all means take the ferry over to st.john!!! after stopping on a few cruises on STT & visiting STJ we now only stay on STJ ! we will visit STT while on STJ but just for a day! because st.John is that Lovely! also the Bath's on the BVI's R amazing if u get the CHANCE... YOUR GOING TO WANT TO COME BACK TO ST.JOHN & STAY SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE! TRUST ME!!!!! GOOD lUCK! & HAVE FUN!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 04:57 AM

For a first time visit, and if you don't mind the move, you may want to consider splitting your time on both St. Thomas and St. John.

St. Yhomas offers great shopping opportunities in Charlotte Amalie, and great places to dine. St. John offers the optimum in beatiful, unspoiled, uncrowded beraches.

As previously suggested, an over the road tour of St. Thomas is a fun way to get an overview of the highspots of the island. Great dinner ding can be found at Havanna Blue located at Morningstar Hotel and The Old Stone Farmhous. Suggested lunches are at Hervee's, great wine list,excellent food and aan outstanding hilltop view of the Charlotte Amalie Harbor; also The Sunset Grille at Frenchman's Reef has a high gorgeous, camera perfect view.

Cannel Bay on St. John has 7 picture perfect private beaches, 170 acres of tropical landscaped gardens, with buildings spread about so that you feel that you are almost in your own private oasis. Excellent food can be had from their three fine dining restaurants, plus a beach/bar grill. you can also enjoy a choice of fine resarants and botique shopping in Cruz Bay.

This would give you a taste of both differest and unique island experiences.

Have fun.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM

St Thomas has much to offer including Magen’s Bay. The Virgin Islands were once home to pirates and some of the stone buildings, and castles they built are still standing. Bluebeard’s Castle, Blackbeard’s Castle, and plantation ruins are worth seeing.
Everyone has their own idea of what is "best". I personally like STT better. Many people who tell you that STJ is better have only seen the downtown area and then been whisked off by boat. They've never stayed there. We found it to be very relaxing and nice accommodations. We traveled with friends, one of whom raved about the spas. So...personal choice.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Hello floww415:
When is your trip to St. Thomas? You didn't mention. I think definitely a trip to Charlotte Amalie is in order. My husband and I like to go try new restaurants when we can actually find the time to travel. In Charlotte Amalie you'll find Yacht Haven Grande which has three restaurants.

The Fat Turtle restaurant was a lot of fun. While we waited for our order, my husband and discussed how much we enjoyed the ambiance of the place. It was a lot of fun!
http://www.fat-turtle.com">www.fat-turtle.com

Wikked was definitely the most casual of the Yacht Haven Grand Restaurants. And even though it’s considered a “shack” – it’s like no shack I’ve ever seen. Sitting under our shady umbrella, relaxing while we ate our breakfast and staring out at the majestic yachts and the beautiful water was breath-taking.
http://www.wikkedrestaurant.com">www...restaurant.com

After days of wearing bathing suits and shorts, it was fun to dress up a little bit. My husband and I had a great "date" at Grande Cru. I LOVED the martini bar. The crème Brule was to die for! And I strongly recommend you try the chocolate espresso martini. YUM! This was definitely on the top of my favorite restaurant lists.
http://www.grandecru.com">www.grandecru.com

Aside from the great eats there's a lot of shopping at Charlotte Amalie. There are also a lot of places to site see. We didn't have an opportunity to see everything, but here's a link that may help you plan your day.
http://www.vinow.com/stthomas/attrac...tions_town.php

Have a great vacation!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:35 AM

excited - welcome to fodors. did you realize the post you responded to is 3 months old.