Search

Must do's in St. Thomas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must do's in St. Thomas

Hi,
I am going with 15 family members to St. Thomas from June 18th - June 25th. From the forum I can see that snorkeling is a must do off the beaches anywhere.
Are there any other recommendations?
Ferry to St. John's?
Shopping
Horseback rifing?
Activities for children?

Thanks!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:45 AM

In answer to your questions -
For the best snorkeling, ferry to St. John, rent a 4 wheel drive and explore the many beaches and snorkle from there. "St. John Beach Guide" a great reference book (available Amazon.com) for this. Riding is also available there. - Carolina Coral
Shopping a definite yes! Charlotte Amalie has good bargains for Tee shirts, inexpensive jewelery, beach accessories, ect. at the open tent market; Gallery St. Thomas for interesting assortment of artwork; a linen shop not far from there for beatiful inexpensive linens, a multitude of jewelry, liqour and souvineer shops. Another fun thing to do is the kayaking/snorkeling trip through the mangroves. (Your hotel should have the name and info.) An over the road escourted tour is an intereresting family venture as well as the sea aquarium (I can't think of the name.) Everyone of all ages will enjoy the water and beach. I saw families with very young children enjoying each other making sand castles. There is much to do, so have fun.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Definitely make a point to visit St. John. Gorgeous beaches to snorkle and just a neat island to explore especially the remote areas. This was one of the better posts that I've seen about snorkeling St. Thomas on USVI On-line:

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cgi...LArticle+15705
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Hi There,

Here are my suggestions of some of the things you should do if you visit St. Thomas?..of course what and how many things you do will depend on how much time you have.

If you like history?take a walking tour of downtown Charlotte Amalie?..it will tire you out in the heat but it's worth it. Go to Fort Christian and spend a couple of hours?free admission, some interesting exhibits..and great views for picture taking on the roof of the fort. Go see the Governor's residence if it is open that day. Stop by the Crystal Palace and see a fabulous place that now is a wonderful B&B?say hello to Ronnie when you are there. Visit the landmarks. Go to Drake's Seat and pretend you're Sir Francis Drake watching the Spanish fleet sail by while your ships are hiding in Magens Bay. If you want to see the Caribbean?both the sea and the culture....drive around the island. I always rent a car because you can go where you want to go, when you want to go there and visit all the non-tourist places that let you discover the ?real? island?.not just the few areas that one-day visitors normally get to see. Head to Paradise Point and view the mountains, look out at the other islands from the higher levels.

Go to Frenchtown and experience that culture??eat at one of the very good restaurants down there. Head west on the island..past the airport and the UVI campus and spend some time at Brewer?s Bay. Pick up some sea shells while you are there and grab a bite to eat and a cold beer from one of the roadside vending trucks.

Go to visit the parts of the island that are off the tourist path. Stop at a roadside produce stand and take a while to talk to the locals?.ask about their offerings and enjoy some great fresh fruit. Remember?.whenever you run into a local?just say "hello" and ask how they are?..they will start talking to you right away?they will ask you "how do you like our island" and they will mean it.

Take a day trip over to Tortola and see where they make Sunny Caribe spices or shop in Pusser's?.go to St. John and visit the beaches or the artist's community?go to Water Island?..go to St. Croix and see the "other" Virgin Island?..or go to any number of other BVI's that can be easily reached from St. Thomas.

Other things to do or see??shop of course. St. Thomas has some really "different" shops in addition to those you probably know about (jewelry, china and the like). Make sure you go to Local Color, go to Mountain Top or Paradise Point, go to Coral World, and go to Tillett Gardens. Stop at Red Hook and try Rhiannon?s right below and one building over from the Caribbean Steak House & Saloon or check your email at the internet connection you can make a the Grateful Deli. The Atlantis submarine is still there and it is interesting but a bit pricey. Also be sure to look while you are driving. You will find several really unusual things to stop and visit from local pottery studios to very unusual houses and out of the way shops?..in season look for softball games or other sporting events that the locals are having. And finally, be sure to take in the beaches?.St. Thomas has several and they are all different. Magens, Coki, Frenchman's, Hull, Dorothea, Limetree, Bolongo, Secret Harbour, Sapphire, and all the others

Schultz
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 07:10 AM
mm

Snorkle at Coki Beach. As with Magen's Bay you can rent umbrellas, lounge chairs, floats. Also, like Magen's there are options for food including pizza and bar-b-que at Coki and a snack bar at Magen's. Both offer opportunities to spend on tee-shirts and other touristy nick-nacks.

I believe on Wednesdays the tram to the top of Paradise Point for sunset and drinks and dancing (live band).

Don't bother with bike rentals, roads are narrow and steep. Instead take a private tour from any one of the many vans which serve as taxis.

Ferry to St. John, if only to eat dinner and enjoy the boat ride.

Have fun.

mm
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 07:12 AM
mm

Re: my previous

I intended to say that the tram is FREE on Wednesdays. Other days cost approx. $10 or $15 so go after 5pm.

mm
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 08:28 AM

We did a night snorkel on St. Thomas which was a first for us. It was really great if you're into snorkeling. The guy does the night snorkelling is called Homer. He was so nice. He picks you up from your hotel and provides all equipment including wet suits. Sorry, I can't remember which hotel he operates from.