Search

St. Thomas honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Thomas honeymoon

Going the beginning of September to St. Thomas after two other plans got scrapped (Phuket and Egypt)- staying at the Marriott on points - what would you all advise as to the best thing (other than the beach which we already love) to see/do in St. Thomas? Have heard the shopping is great (especially jewelry) - any special (read that, good deals) shops you have found? Any special item that relates to the island? Thanks for any info.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM

first congratulations!
at the marriott try to stay in the morningstar section. it is much closer to the beach and is smaller 2-story carib style buildings instead of big hotel. you will be very happy with havana blue, their restaurant. it is visually lovely, especially with the moon rising and the food is an eclectic blend of cuban/island. each dish is layered in flavor.
if you are interested in doubloons or pieces of eight which are more affordable there is a very knowledgeable woman at the shop at the top of the tramway. if you are going to drink while you shop i do not advise driving up as we did. the view from the top is fabulous.
you might also look at bernard passman's black coral jewelry and art. he is the only person authourized by the usvi to use the coral and he does it beautifully. he has a web site and a shop on island.
not that i advise shopping when the ships are in, but when they are there is an outdoor market set up on the east end of charlotte amalie with great deals and a great selection of island dressess and other things.
besides jewelry there are great deals on binoculars/cameras etc, perfume, cigars/booze.
have heard that shop owners will sometimes make better deals when there are no ships in.
on the east end is coral world. this is a marine park with feeding pools, and several ways to go into the sea to observe. www.coralworldvi.com
on the little road into coki beach/coral world is a good italian spot called tony romano's. reservation needed.
you might think about taking the ferry to st. john for the day.
check out www.newhorizonscharters.com
they have a fast boat that does a day excursion to the bvi which i have done and can highly recommend!! includes the baths, marina cay for lunch at pussers (&cuban cigars), snorkeling off guana cay and a swim to the beach on jost van dyke for a drink at the soggy dollar. (home of the painkiller) couple other beach stores here too, bought a couple tshirts & had an ice cream before the painkiller. take sunscreen.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Emmitt,
if at all possible, book a charter to Jost Van Dyke and White Bay in the BVI's. It's a short, beautiful boat ride and such a blast! You'll need your passport for the quick customs check on St. John (took all of 5 minutes at the dock!). You won't regret it. We stayed in a villa on St. Thomas on Megan's Bay last year (wonderful water there), and spent one day boating to Jost. It's a special day -- definitely the best outing of our trip. We used a charter out of Cruz Bay on St. John. They picked us up on St. Thomas (can't remember the marina right off the top of my head) and had us back by dinner time. Jost has a fun outdoor restaurant/bar called Foxy's. Around the island is White Bay and The Soggy Dollar Bar. You have to swim ashore which is fabulous. Just a suggestion if you're looking to do something away from St. Thomas. Have a great time!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Good beaches on St. john's are Coki Beach and Shaphire Beach.
Don't miss Jost Van Dyke, like mentioned above.
Day trips to St. John's and Virgin Gorda are musts too!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:24 PM

coki beach and sapphire beach are definetly on st. thomas. i think baloma mis-typed
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Thanks Virginia!! I should proof read better. I did mean St. Thomas for those beaches, especially since I was trying to answer emmitt's question about what to see/do on St. Thomas.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.....wonderful ideas.