Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Have you booked a package through Air Jamaica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are closing in on our March vacation (thanks for the help on Round Hill) and I've found great rates (and the Round Hill villas) on Air Jamaica's website. Usually I book everything separately, but it appears to be advantageous to book through Air Jamaica. Just looking for some feedback if you have used them and if all was as promised.

Thanks!

Mary in D.C.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:19 PM
KVR

I have read posts that people have had good luck with them and I have read posts that people have had bad luck with them especially late departures and arrivals. My personal experience was not good. We booked a Jamaican vacation in 2003 and they canceled our flight. Never heard a word from them that the flight was canceled and they never informed my TA. Had to scrabble at the last minute to re-book something else on American Airlines for our dates.

In 2005, we scheduled another Jamaican vacation and AJ again canceled our flight with no word. I found out on various messages boards that they were leaving Houston's IAH airport and any flights after a certain date was automatically canceled. The only good thing I can say is that they immediatley credit back our credit card both times. We rescheduled again with American Airlines to St. Thomas, USVI. Cost me an extra $1,000 since USVI was more expensive than Jamaica, but that was my chose not to fly another airline into Jamaica.

I would never try to book another vacation with AJ. Since they are no longer in my area anyway it won't be a problem. Since they have pulled out of a few airports and cut back on flights they may now have better service.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

KVR--appreciate your candor!

Mary
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I was booked on AJ a couple of years ago Houston to Grenada via MoBay and AJ cancelled the Houston to Mobay leg of the trip. I called customer service and they immediately rescheduled that leg for the day prior than I have previously booked. So, we left on Fri from Houston to MoBay, arrived in Jamaica and AJ put us up at the Holiday Inn Sunspree resort (all-inclusive) at their expense, then we left mid-morn on Sat for Grenada.

We were very pleased with their customer service. We expected just to be placed at a crappy little hotel near the airport with a food voucher (like AA did to us once). The resort was nice and we had a good time on AJ's dime.

The planes were ok, food was ok, free beer/champagne good! They were our new favorite airline to the caribbean, so of course, they no longer fly out of Houston!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 02:24 AM

Since its sale, AJ has dropped some routes entirely and has had an iffy record of late. Guests on long-haul AJ from UK or LA -- non-stops -- seem to have least problems. Others, particularly, those with stopovers or as co-shares with DELTA have had delays and cancellations. Confirming/re-confirming your reservations day before and day of flights -- both ways == on AJ is now mandatory. Their baggage allowance is now also 50 lbs.