weather question for GC

Search

weather question for GC

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weather question for GC

I saw previous April posts about weather. Now that it's May (we arrive on 5/15) in Grand Cayman, the long range forecast shows "showers" (50% change of rain). Do the previous responses still hold - on again off again rain? or should we expect to be confined inour condo all week (til 5/22). My teenagers are greatly concerned (and so am I)
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Sunnyboy

Don't pay any attention to the long range forecasts you see on the internet weather sites as they are notoriously inaccurate and all they do is cause needless worry to those traveling to the Caribbean. If you looked at them every day for a year you'd swear the sun never shines anywhere in the Caribbean. What you are really seeing is a prediction for the ubiquitous tropical rain shower that happens almost every day on almost every island in the Caribbean. These are usually very brief (lasting only minutes), very localized (showers in one area and bright sun 1/4 mile away) and not enough to dampen anyones enthusiam. You should be more concerned about having enough SPF 45 than worrying about packing an umbrella. Don't worry about the weather, besides there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

Old May 7th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Hello bdemarco,
I will be visiting GC around the same time as you and have the same concerns. I have called the weather service at GC and they say the rain lasts only a few minutes just as the other post says. Even though people say not to worry about what the weather forecast says I cant help but worry
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance - though we'll probably still fret about it.
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Have you ever been to FL. If you looked at the weather forecast it shws rain almost every day. But yet its sunny and gorgeous for 85% of the day.
The weather changes so quickly the clouds come in, drops hard rain and then the sun is out again
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:34 PM

When we went to GC last June, the long range forcast showed rain every day with no sun "pictures" at all and we were really worried. It turned out that it rained one night (severe storms), but cleared up and was fine by midday the following day. So I agree with everyone else--ignore the forcast and enjoy your vacation! You'llk get much more accurate weather forecasts once you're in Cayman. (P.S. We had trip insurance and my wife almost postponed ours due to the weather. Thank goodness we didn't!)
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Hi. I went to GC mid April and I had the same grimm outlook. It posted daily as a 30% chance of rain. Even if the shower does occur, from my experience it will only be a passing shower for a few minutes. Out of 6days all days were partly sunny or sunny and there was a 15min shower early one morning which cleared to blue skies. Best wishes.
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:25 PM

I was vacationing in Grand Caymen the end of April. Before I left, I read the forecast and it was supposed to rain every day I was there. Being from Seattle, I was greatly disappointed. I wasn't leaving the rainiest place in the world to vacation in the rain. I was so worried. Don't fret........it didn't rain once in the 7 days I was there. You will have a great trip!
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:30 PM

We've been going to Grand Cayman for years-even before the Internet. Now that I can get the weather forecast online, here's how I use it:

If it says sunny weather, I think, "great" and daydream about great times.

If it says otherwise, I think, "wait until they change it because it will be fine" and daydream about great times.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Was just in GC on 5/3/04. The morning was perfect and sunny. Around 11 or noon, there was a rainstorm. Afternoon was perfect and sunny again. Not to worry about the weather; just schedule any excursions around when the rain is due that day. You shouldn't have any problems scheduling around the rain; it doesn't last too long.
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:05 AM

We just returned from GC on 5/12. It is true that we had rain nearly every day, but as others have pointed out, the rain was always brief and cleared up fast. Out of 5 days, there was only one afternoon where the rain was heavy enough to force people indoors. Every other day the showers were no more than 10 or 20 minutes and very light in nature. Don't fret about it too much. You'll be having such a good time simply being on this beautiful island that you'll hardly even notice the showers!