Notices

Want to buy cigars in Havana

Dec 1st, 2017, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Want to buy cigars in Havana

What do I need to know when my ship stops in Havana as I want/need to buy some cigars? Cost, brand, etc. I can bring back right? Buying for others so know nothing.
Dec 2nd, 2017, 03:42 PM

What is your home country? Where will you be bringing the cigars in thru Customs?
Dec 3rd, 2017, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

USA and bringing back through Miami. Thanks.
Dec 4th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Administrator

You can bring back up to 4 boxes (boxes can be 10 cigars or 25 cigars in most cases), plus up to 2 bundles of "custom" rolls which are the unbanded cigars rolled by the torcedors in the official La Casa Del Habanos stores.

*DO NOT* buy cigars anywhere except INSIDE the official Habanos LCDH stores. If you do, *you will be buying fake cigars*. There are no exceptions to this. There is no cousin with a hookup at the factory. There are no big discounts on legitimate Cuban cigars.

Once in the store, ask for help. Tell the salesperson your budget, and have them suggest something appropriate.

If you are buying for someone who knows cigars, they should give you a list. If you're buying for someone who just said "get me some cigars" then you ought to be ok with whatever you get. Prices in LCDH stores are the same everywhere.

Good luck!
Dec 4th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Administrator

...and FYI a standard box of 25 cigars, say the Partagas Serie D No. 4, which is a common robusto size, should run you about 160-170CUC, or about $190US. Maybe a tad bit more or less. If you go for something special, or something that says Cohiba on it, be prepared to pay more; the Cohiba version of that Partagas cigar sells for about 380CUC, or around $400US.
Dec 4th, 2017, 02:47 PM

<>

lol, iBobi, we went to a tobacco farm on the way to Vinales and after the usual tour, we bought a box of cigars from the government official who was on duty there. They were clearly marked as being official and there was lots of signing of this that and the other.

Later on our trip we were offered "cheap" cigars on several occasions, but we were able to say we already had some which was useful. On one particular tour our guide 'just happened" to bump into his friend who was the "manager" of the local cigar factory who would be able to get us some cheap cigars. We trotted out our normal excuse and after a bit of tooing and froing, they gave up.

Just say no.

Search this Thread