Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How much in goods can I bring back to the United States

How much in goods can I bring back to the United States

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much in goods can I bring back to the United States

Kindly tell me how much each my husband and I can bring back to the US without paying extra monies. Thanks. Alana
alana is offline  
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,334
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$800 per person.
simpsonc510 is offline  
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 29,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can bring back more from certain 3rd world developing nations...it depends on the country of origin of the product...

for instance thailand, the amount of certain products for personal use is almost unlimited under certain us governement regualations---the GSP plan
rhkkmk is offline  
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,689
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please see the information put together by the US Customs Service at http://www.cbp.gov/ and http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/. While you have a per person exemption of US$800 (or $1600 as a couple), whether duty is payable depends on total value of the items as well as what items you bring back. Books, original artwork, and actual antiques, for example, are exempt from duty, as are some handicraft items made in certain countries (which the poster above is alluding to I believe). Items from Singapore are duty-free or may be taxed at a different rate. (Items from Burma, Cuba and some other countries may not be imported at all.) For wine/liquor and tobacco, in addition to the dollar limit, only 1 litre are duty free, and there is a limit for tobacco products as well, (i.e., you canít bring in 10 bottles which in total are equal to $800, you can just bring 1 litre duty free provided it is worth less than US$800, the rest of the alcohol will be taxed). So you need to classify what you are bringing back and where you are brining it back from. The website will help you.

Also, if you ship any goods, they are not included in your exemption, so you would have to pay full duty on those (assuming the postal service notices; you can also mail them as gifts to others duty free, but not as a gift to yourself).

Finally, remember that if you are only a bit above your individual or family limit, it is up to the discretion of the customs officer as to whether or not to charge you duty. So if you are US$200 over, you may not pay any duty at all if the officer decides not to charge you. In my experience, it is best to declare everything and let the officer decide whether to assess duty.

If you are near or over the limit or have expensive items, keep all your receipts with you to show to Customs. Conversely, some obliging shops may offer to give you dummy receipts for large ticket items showing that an item cost less than you actually paid for it. (Another way to try to avoid paying duty on jewelry is to mail jewelry receipts home, including credit card receipts, and not have them with you, and claim that the jewelry was taken abroad with you. Also take it out of boxes and mix it in with your other jewelry, or wear it.)

Cicerone is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jan 9th, 2008 09:42 AM
Mar 20th, 2007 07:01 PM
Australia & the Pacific
Jan 12th, 2003 10:20 AM
Sep 18th, 2002 06:27 PM
Apr 18th, 2002 11:44 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information