Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How much in goods can I bring back to the United States

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kindly tell me how much each my husband and I can bring back to the US without paying extra monies. Thanks. Alana
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 06:11 AM

$800 per person.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM

you can bring back more from certain 3rd world developing nations...it depends on the country of origin of the product...

for instance thailand, the amount of certain products for personal use is almost unlimited under certain us governement regualations---the GSP plan
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Please see the information put together by the US Customs Service at http://www.cbp.gov/ and http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/. While you have a per person exemption of US$800 (or $1600 as a couple), whether duty is payable depends on total value of the items as well as what items you bring back. Books, original artwork, and actual antiques, for example, are exempt from duty, as are some handicraft items made in certain countries (which the poster above is alluding to I believe). Items from Singapore are duty-free or may be taxed at a different rate. (Items from Burma, Cuba and some other countries may not be imported at all.) For wine/liquor and tobacco, in addition to the dollar limit, only 1 litre are duty free, and there is a limit for tobacco products as well, (i.e., you canít bring in 10 bottles which in total are equal to $800, you can just bring 1 litre duty free provided it is worth less than US$800, the rest of the alcohol will be taxed). So you need to classify what you are bringing back and where you are brining it back from. The website will help you.

Also, if you ship any goods, they are not included in your exemption, so you would have to pay full duty on those (assuming the postal service notices; you can also mail them as gifts to others duty free, but not as a gift to yourself).

Finally, remember that if you are only a bit above your individual or family limit, it is up to the discretion of the customs officer as to whether or not to charge you duty. So if you are US$200 over, you may not pay any duty at all if the officer decides not to charge you. In my experience, it is best to declare everything and let the officer decide whether to assess duty.

If you are near or over the limit or have expensive items, keep all your receipts with you to show to Customs. Conversely, some obliging shops may offer to give you dummy receipts for large ticket items showing that an item cost less than you actually paid for it. (Another way to try to avoid paying duty on jewelry is to mail jewelry receipts home, including credit card receipts, and not have them with you, and claim that the jewelry was taken abroad with you. Also take it out of boxes and mix it in with your other jewelry, or wear it.)