$$$$$ vs. $$ - Restaurants

Jan 21st, 2003, 02:31 PM
Elaine

$$$$$ vs. $$ - Restaurants

I've read a lot about the very nice, romantic restaurants and I'm sure we'll try some of them (i.e., The Cliff, Carambola, etc.) but.....can any of you recommend some of the "hole-in-the-wall places" that serve good, but inexpensive meals?
My husband was told by a friend who just got back from Aruba that a hamburger costs $10.00!!!!???? and that it was one of the most expensive places he'd been to. Thanks, Elaine from Texas

Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:51 AM
Linda

We returned from Barbados two weeks ago and did find the food expensive as well. $10 for a hamburger is about right! We ate at the Camambola and loved it. The food is good and the view is "to die for". It is worth the trip. We also ate at Pisces in St. Lawrence Gap and loved that as well. Excellent service, food. Atmosphere was wonderful as well. For something cheaper there is the Oistin's Fish Fry on Friday nights, Fisherman's Pub and Cafe Sol. All these places offered a good sized portion for the money.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:23 AM
Elaine

Linda, Thanks for the info. Could you
tell me approximately how much the typical taxi fare is from the airport? We're staying on the south end of the island at South Beach 1 Resort. Thanks

Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Lois

Hi Elaine,

Pizza Man Doc has great sandwiches (a little unique too), as well as great pizza for extremely reasonable prices (less than $10); there are several places in St. Lawrence Gap where you can eat cheap. Also, there's Chefette/Chicken Barns all over the island with burgers, chicken, buffet, etc.

On West Coast, Cocomo's is moderately priced but good (on the water). On the South Coast a great place is "Just Grillin" located in the shops across the street from Accra Hotel -- excellent grilled burgers, fish, chicken & veggies. Probably run you $10/person (or a little less) there.

Food costs on most islands are high (they have to fly a lot in). Places like "The Cliff" and "Carambola" are among the most expensive on the island, but worth it for elegance, setting, gourmet food & service. Expect to pay about $120 US/couple for starter, main & bottle of wine.

Lois

Jan 26th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Elaine

Lois, Thanks so much for the advice. This is the first time I've ever used message boards to any extent, and it's wonderful to get first-hand knowledge from people who have been there. All your messages I've seen on this board have really been a big help! Thanks, Elaine