Search

Antigua on a budget

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Natasha

Antigua on a budget

Hi all,<BR><BR>We have just booked a last minute deal to Antigua in September staying at the Royal Antiguan (so I'm trying to ignore all the bad comments!!). It's not an AI deal so we would love to know some good places to eat that won't cost the earth. Also, what is the best way to get around the island? We have heard you can rent cycles, motorcycles and cars so any tips would be great.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Nx

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Laura

Natasha,<BR><BR>Sorry I can't answer your question as awe are looking to go there ourselves.. if you don't mind my asking shat kind of deal did you get at Royal Antiguan..Thanks!!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Sue

If it's not too late change to the all inc, you will save yourself a fortune and still afford to eat out a few times.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Natasha

I don't think we can change to all inclusive at this stage but I will check - thanks for the tip. I have read that on room only non-motorised watersports are free. Can anyone verify this? There is also mention of a rum party and entertainments. Any feedback on this would be great.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Nx

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Karen

Don't go AI on Antigua; the restaurants there were the best and not extremely expensive. Coco's and Coconut Grove are two that were very good. The party cruise from St. John's was also a great time; many locals with great music and dancing under the stars.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Jany

Natasha,<BR><BR>nice that you are looking for answers /and/or advice but you won't answer Laura's question who is also a future Royal traveler... not so nice

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Natasha

Hi Laura,<BR>we got a package deal from the UK including flights etc. It was &pound;600 each for 14 nights room only incl. transfers. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Sue

You cannot eat at Coconut Grove or Cocos for 14 nights if you are on a budget! And you've got to add 18% tax on top of that. We ate at both and the bill was &pound;60 per night inc wine. The all-inc deals are great value if you are on a budget.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Natasha

Is it possible to upgrade to AI once you get to the hotel? How much would it cost?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Sue

I would check with travel agent first butI don't see why you cannot do it when you arrive, it's about &pound;40 per day per person.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:42 AM
fiona

Natasha<BR>&pound;600 sounds a great deal! If AI is about &pound;40 a day as Sue says it sounds well worth it- just think, you need never spend another pound! We did this in Barbados as the cost of living is so high there but we also ate out a couple of times.<BR>If your travel agent can't put you on to AI I would have thought that it would be straightforward enough to do on arrival. I'm sure the hotel has an e-mail address- why not check?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:48 AM
fiona

E-mail address is<BR>[email protected]

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Natasha

Thanks for your help - I'm emailing now to see what the deal is!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:39 AM
elinor

I think you can buy the AI deal at the hotel - why not do it for part of your stay, and get out and about for the rest. It might also be worth looking into a breakfast-only option - that's the one meal that you might not want to go out for. There are loads of great places to eat on a budget - Chutneys has some great deals, so does Amigos; Riviera is always a good bet, so is Putters (if you want English food!) and the Fish and Chip van is quite something on a Caribbean island. Or go for some island food - Rotis cost very little, and you should try goat water; rice & peas; curried conch; a Friday night fish fry, red herring in a sandwich, salt fish for breakfast; pepperpot and fungee and ducana at least once. And, of course, lots of fresh fruit (well worth a Saturday morning trip to the market just for this). <BR>For a really great trip, check out Eli Fuller's eco-tour (www.adventureantigua.com) - everyone raves about this. Consider hiring a car for at least part of your day, and remember, once you've got your local licence, you don't have to take your car for consecutive days - you can have it for a couple of days early on, then a few more later in your trip. It's worth it just to get out and about, see some of the island's amazing beaches, and take in some historical sites. Wouldn't recommend two-wheeled transport - I've seen too many people lose too much skin - but it is available if you feel really brave, or really fit.<BR>Enjoy Antigua - happy to answer any other questions.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:38 AM
Natasha

Wow, loads of tips, thanks!! Goat water sounds interesting - what is it?!?! I keep hearing about free non motorised watersports/rum punch party at the RA - is this the AI package or for everyone? <BR>Thanks for all the advice - holiday confirmation arrived in the mail this morning, can't wait!<BR>Nx

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Elinor

goat water is a soupy stew. Highly spiced and absolutely delicious - especially with a chunk of fresh bread to dunk in it. As far as I know, the NM watersports and manager's party are for all guests - but I'll be popping in there later this week, so I'll check for you

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 02:34 PM
jenni

Hi Natasha<BR>We were in Antigua two months ago and found in the south Trappes and HQ in the south and Fisherman's Wharf @ Chutneys all did main courses under $10 . They were all good value . Chutneys is in the north where your hotel is and Elinor has given you a list of other restaurants in the north so you have a lot to choose from . Enjoy Antigua and don't miss Shirley Heights on sunday .

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 11:05 AM
Linda Weaver

Hello,<BR><BR>My husband and I are planning on a trip to Antigua and staying at the Allegro Resort, Pineapple Beach. Has anyone been to this one, if so, how did you like it?<BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Brian

My fiance and I are considering Antigua for a honeymoon. We love beaches, all-inclusive meals/drinks? What do oy you think? And how is the weather in Antigua in May?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:37 PM
anonymous

I found this great website with information and photos of Hotels in Antigua:<BR><BR>http://groups.msn.com/AntiguaBound/<BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -