Frenchmen's Reef dining?

Search

Frenchmen's Reef dining?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frenchmen's Reef dining?

Anyone stayed at Frenchmen's reef lately?? My husband is taking his group on business meeting (spouses too!)at end of April. Would like suggestions for eating. Are the restaurants there good?? Pricey for what you get?? Any sugestions for eating off premises? Would consider the all inclusive option at Frenchmen's if we knew that the food options would be worth it. Are drinks expensive too? Thanks for feedback.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Haven't eaten at the Reef in ages but hear that the restaurants are good. It's hotel prices, though. I can suggest some off-property places though.

Keep in mind that chefs can move around so don't sue me if you get a dud!

Alexander's Cafe (or Bella Blue as it's also called) in Frenchtown

Virgilio's - downtown

Craig & Sally's also in Frenchtown. A little pretentious for me but good as well as pricey.

I had the best rib-eye I've ever eaten at Noche in Frenchtown. I didn't mind the price - it was that good.

Good for breakfast or lunch & not expensive or pretentious is Hook, Line & Sinker on the water in Frenchtown where the Frenchies dock their fishing boats.

Room with a View at Bluebeard's Castle has the most spectacular view I've ever seen & the food is good.

Old Stone Farmhouse gets rave reviews from most people. I think I hit it on 2 bad nights because that many people can't be wrong where I could be. Very pricey.

If you're downtown shopping have lunch at Gladys'. She's in one of the alleyways between Main St. & the Waterfront. Ask anyone for directions.

If you're in the Red Hook area, I like East End Cafe or Duffy's Love Shack which is a fun place.

If you're in the Havensight area where the ships dock, have a bleu cheeseburger at Delly Deck which is where everyone from Senators to taxi-drivers eat. Open for breakfast & lunch.

There are more but if you're at the Reef you'll need to taxi or drive to them. I hope somebody can answer your questions regarding the hotel's food.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:49 PM

We stayed at the Morning Star for one night in October. We had lunch and drinks at Cocoa Joe's. They had great hamburgers and frozen drinks. I think the burger was probably around $12 and drinks around $8 (but I could be off on this!). The food was much better than I expected it to be. We had dinner at Havana Blue which is on the Morning Star property. It was very expensive, but worth it for the food and ambiance. The food and desserts were great. We also had the breakfast buffet at the Reef. It had a lot of variety and was very good. We were only there one day and didn't really go anywhere else, except when we were waiting for our Peter Island ferry, we had some great frozen drinks at a little bar called Coconuts. Hope that helps!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM

hi, was on st. thomas this past june and had dinner at havana blue. i too thought it was wonderful. really good menu and great chef. imho 'pricey' comparisons kind of depend on where you come from. in my little town in maine, $12 is way high for dinner. in new york city that would barely touch breakfast.
so go to sts.onepaper.com (st.t newspaper) down on the left is 'visitors center' and 'dining out'. there is an article about havana blue with menu and a second article that lists, i assume, all island restaurants and has $$ signs to indicate cost.
also ate at blue moon cafe at secret harbour where i stayed. covered patio dining about 20 feet from the water. very nice menu. not a fancy place.
on a previous trip we ate at tony romano's italian (on the road into coki world/beach) and liked it very much. interesting atmosphere. he hangs his own art.
a fun place for drinks is at the top of the tramway at havensight. if its clear the view is stunning. the little islands and the sea shimmering as the sun starts to drop.
always hear good things about gladys.
and if you can stay in the morningstar section of the hotel i think you will be happier. ms is smaller carib style buildings near the beach, reef is tall hotel style building.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:25 AM

I agree with Virginia about price being relative. The wonderful rib-eye at Noche was $31.50 (no sides.)
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Lpk

I'm jealous
stayed at Frenchmans in Dec 05
had a great time
Havana blue -Excellent
Herve's in town was wonderfull-nice view of downtown
we took the day snorkel cruise -don't miss it!
You will have a ball