COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Amelia Island Restaurants

Old May 30th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Amelia Island Restaurants

Hi - we are going to amelia island this weekend.
would appreciate any restaurant recommendations (breakfast, lunch , dinner). Really enjoy fresh vegetables, salads, fruits, fish.

thank you!
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:23 PM

One of my favorites is in Fernandina Beach (just the next town over). It's called Brett's Waterway. Beautiful views and very good food.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:13 AM

Lots of casual out of the way places for lunch. Try the Seafood Market by the port on the waterfront for fried shrimp. Also, try LuLu's behind Bonito's Sushi (also a good place)--both with outdoor seating only. Cafe Karibo also good for lunch. For dinner there are some newer places downtown in the historic district that are very good. Embers (Ash Street) is very nice. Espana is good for Portuguese and Spanish cuisine. 29 South is a very new one and is very good. All these are within a few blocks of each other in the down town historic district. For breakfast, the best coffee on the Island is the kofe hous on Sadler Road (next to Applebee's). They roast their own coffees and have fresh baked pastries and authentic NY bagels each morning. Also, good for that afternoon latte and dessert style pastries after a day at the beach. If you prefer the "wholehog" southern style breakfast try T-Rays (an old service station on 8th St.)
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM

Brett's for lunch, their soup is always excellent. The Crab Trap for somewhat sloppy dinners of shellfish...Family run - excellent service. T-Rays is THE place for breakfast. For a more upscale dinner, try the Beech Street Grill - excellent wine list + a piano player in the evenings. Horizons & Centre Street Grill are also good for dinner. All the places I mentioned are in & around the Historic downtown area. For a massage, try the Healing Dome. Don & Cindy do a great job & also offer yoga & other classes. Brett's is good for a drink around sunset also. They have rockers that face the Waterway.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:46 AM

Not sure where you are staying but many of the B & B's provide great breakfasts as well.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:01 PM

FYI: Horizons and Center Street Cafe are both now out of business. Horizons over a year ago and Center Street in May. Still over good places like the ones I mentioned, especially the new ones. The B&Bs are all nice. Check the B&B Assn web site for more details.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your recommendations!

Can not wait to try them out.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

any feedback on the following:

down under

joe's 2nd street bistro

florida house inn (all u can eat?).

a co-worker recommended but i am not sure how recent he visited.

thank you.

marina restaurant
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:40 AM

I'm not crazy about the Down Under but others seem to like it. The Florida House (also a good place to stay, or it used to be prior to the ownership change) offers a family-style/southern kind of dinner which is very good. Everything is brought out on big platters & shared. Eg. Fried chicken, okra, mashed potatoes & gravy, biscuits, you get the idea. It is fairly inexpensive as well.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:06 AM

Down Under is good for seafood. Casual family style atmosphere located just off the island on the IC Waterway. Nice views from their patio--bring bug spray for the no-seeums. I wouldn't recommend the Florida House for either meals or accomodations. Noisy bar right next door has caused many guest complaints. Food is ok, but you can do better. Joe's 2nd St. bistro is an upscale very nice restaurant that's been a mainstay in the historic district for some years now. Excellent food. Lot will depend on where you stay and if you want to drive or walk to meals. As a note, the Island is only 4x13 miles in size so nothing is very far away.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:26 AM

Re: The Florida House, I have stayed there over a half a dozen times over the years, typically in the corner room adjacent to the bar. I've never heard a thing. Granted, the bar has only been there a few years, but in years past you were more likely to be awakened by the Florida House bar which appears to have been abandoned by the locals since the change in ownership. The food (in my opinion) has always been fine, as long as you have an understanding as to what you are getting. Perhaps the somewhat recent changes to The Florida House have not been good (?). I know since our bartender friends & locals we used to hang out with there don't frequent it any longer, we don't either.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:28 AM

Too bad about Horizons - when we were there in Feb. we were hoping they were just closed for the season. The folks at Centre Street just couldn't seem to get it going. We enjoyed a couple of wonderful New Years Eves dinners there when they first opened. Best of luck to them as well.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:49 AM

We like Down Under. It's very casual. Buckets of seafood (fresh shrimp, etc.) and beer.