Search

Virgin Gorda Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Gorda Questions

Hello all, took the plunge and bought the tix for May, 09 trip to Virgin Gorder! We're going to do the DL to SJU--Air Sunshine to VG route.

Now I'd like to run a villa by you all...Anyone every stay at Tamarind at Leverick Bay? Looks like it fits the bill; wanted to see if anyone's ever stayed there?

Also, RENTAL CAR recs would be appreciated. The villa owner recommends Speedys. Any other recs?

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:53 AM

We had a great experience with Mahogany rentals. I think many other people like them too.

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM

I also agree with Mahogany rentals I have always had good luck with them. My next thought would be you may want to think about staying at Leverick Bay, it is all the way at one end of the island, if you want to go to the Baths or town or any of the really nice beaches you will have a bit of a drive. Leverick is a great area but I would prefer to be more centrally located.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

That's a good point, Nauticall. How far of a drive is it from Leverick to the rest of the island? good beaches, etc.?

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM

I also decided against the Leverick bay area when I was researching villas on VG. I think the views from those villas are stunning, but my impression was that it was kind of far (relatively speaking) from good quality beaches. You might also check villas near Mahoe Bay (more expensive), Nail Bay, or Spring Bay (Guavaberry).
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:35 AM

greenie - Liverick Bay is on the northeastern side of the island. It's about 5 or 6 miles to Spanish Town and the area where you'll find many of the more popular beaches and restaurants. The "ride" between the two areas will seem longer because the road (there's only one) is twisty and steep in many places.

As Jimmie pointed out check villa rentals in the Mahoe Bay area, Spring Bay and Nail Bay if you want to be closer to the activities and points of interest. You will, however, pay a premium for the convenience as rental prices are based on the well know real estate adage of location, location, location.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Well, thank you all for the good info. I was wondering why the houses in Leverick Bay are so much cheaper.

I'll call Nail Bay and see what's available there.

Thank you all again!

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM

I don't have a thing against Speedys, but I can tell you that I rented from Mahogany and was very pleased with their service. They met us at the ferry dock with the car and we dropped it off there upon departure.

I agree with the Leverick Bay location. The drive from the Mango Bay area to Leverick was about 20 minutes, and while I personally did not and would not choose Leverick Bay to stay because of the location, the views along that road were gorgeous. So you're looking at a drive to beaches, restaurants and the Baths as being about 20 minutes longer from Leverick than from other parts of the island. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. The rates are much better for villas up there and your money will get you a nicer villa there than just about anyplace else on the island.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input EJ. I value your opinion! You're right about the value being better in Leverick. For what I would pay for a condo in Nail Bay, I can get a whole house with a private pool. We'll just bite the bullet and drive a little. I dont mind when the view is gorgeous!!

Thanks for the Mahogany rec. The consensus is good for them, so I think I'm on the right track.

Thank you all for the recs and ops. I appreciate the posts.

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Greenie, I dont know what your budget is but take a look at Adagio villa in Mahoe Bay area, they have great rates depending on how many are staying there. We are paying 2200 for a week there for 2 people.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the rec, Nauticall, what a beautiful house, but with tax and service fees, it's almost $1,000 more than the house in Leverick. I think I can do a little driving to save $1k. =)

I'm going to stick with the house in Leverick. It's an incredible deal for private house with pool. With the money I save, I can rent a skiff for a couple days and visit some of the islands in the North Sound.

Peace, Greenie
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Sounds like you've got a good plan, Greenie.

One suggestion for you, especially since you're flying in and out of VG on Air Sunshine--take some time to enjoy the food and drink at the Flying Iguana, right next door to the airport. It's got lots of local color and the breakfasts were outstanding when we went last year. The lunch was also pretty good. But we also enjoyed the view of the water and being able to watch the small aircraft come and go.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Great tip, EJ! We are leaving pretty early on the return and that sounds like my kinda place!

Hopefully, next year, if I can talk my hubby into it, we'll do Hawaii for our 50th bds. That last trip you took sounded really good!

Thank you! =)

Peace, G