Search

Virgin Gorda in July

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Gorda in July

My wife and I are planning a week on Virgin Gorda in early July and are looking for information on two areas. We are looking at several villas in Nail Bay and at Leverick Bay. Our goal is to be secluded when at the villa but be able to access water sports and snorkeling as well during the day. If anyone has stayed at Island Dream in Nail Bay or at Vista Del Mare at Leverick Bay we would appreciate any feedback. Both Villas seem to have their own personalities but we want to be sure we pick the right one given what we hear from anyone here. We've heard the road to Nail Bay is a "challenge" but we see that as just one of the adventures we are looking forward to so that isn't an issue. Any other suggestions for activities, groceries, snorkeling spots, watering holes, secluded beaches, etc. would be great too.
Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:09 AM

Nail Bay is not very nice and Leverick Bay is not as nive as Mahoe Bay . Mahoe Bay has a really nice beach and nice villas . Leverick Bay does not . There are seculded Villas near The Baths and Savannah Bay .
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:18 AM

http://www.guavaberryspringbay.com/villas.htm

Check out this site for Secluded villas . It was actually Spring Bay I was thinking of . Virgin Gorda is the prettiest Island I have ever been to and really the whole island is nice .
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:38 AM

I would definitely not stay at nail bay, it is not very nice, as someone mentioned and the road is bad - not only bad but it is just not a good location. I second the idea of staying at guavaberry or in that vicinity. The baths are more centrally located to town. There are many secluded villas there. VG is not like going to a big busy island. You can stay close to everything and its still really quiet.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM

I'm in strong agreement with everything that's been said.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:36 AM

We stayed at in a villa at Leverick Bay for a week last Feb with 4 grown children ( youngest 16). The villa was nice but not very secluded. No beach to speak of at Leverick but we rented a car from Speedy's, ( they'll drop it off at the Leverick Bay Resort office for you) and spent a couple afternoons at Savannah Bay which had a nice beach. We also rented a 26' powerboat from Leverick Bay Watersports, took it snorkeling and sightseeing throughout the BVI. You can anywhere in the BVI except for Anegada. Definitely worth doing if you're comfortable running a boat. We spent a couple afternoons at the beach bar on Prickly Pear. Has a great little beach. They'll pick you up for free as long as you're buying lunch or drinks at their bar. Saba Rock will also pick you up by water taxi at no charge. They have great fish taco's. Buy your groceries at Buck's in Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour.
If we brought all the kids again, would probably rent in Mahoe Bay.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I'd like to piggyback on this post if I may...I'm also planning a trip to VG in July of this year for my husband, our 15 year old granddaughter and me. Can y'all please elaborate on what makes Nail Bay "not very nice"?

Leverick certainly has the most affordable villas, but that place seems to emphasize water sports *on* the water and what we want is snorkeling. Mahoe/Mango Bay is just a little too pricey, but we're also strongly considering some of the villas managed by Guavaberry.

Would appreciate any insight, Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think we are leaning toward Leverick Bay and one of the Villas there that is high up with a great view. We are planning to rent a jeep for the week so we will have access to other areas but the boat rental sounds like a great way to spend a day or two exploring other islands and maybe some "undiscovered" snorkelling spots. Any suggestions for casual restaurants and beach bars?
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I agree with the above posters regarding Leverick Bay. It is at the other end of the island from the Baths and the center of town/restaurants. That means its also away from the nicer beaches such as Savannah, Mahoe, and Spring Bay (probably a 30 minute drive if I recall correctly). However you will have access to boats/snorkelling around prickly pear, saba rock (which I beleive also has its own restaurant). You can also take a nice ferry ride over to Bitter End Yatch Club from that end of the island. They have a nice outdoor restaurant and couple beach areas. VG is lovely and you will have a great time no matter where you stay.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:20 AM

The beach bar on Prickley Pear is called the Sand Box, great place to spend an afternoon. When we rented the powerboat we snorkled at Long Bay and the Dogs. Then went to Soggy Dollar on Jost for lunch. Later in the week we snorkeled the caves at Norman island and went to Cane Garden Bay for lunch. Norman island had the best snorkeling.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM

EJ: I think you'd be making a mistake to do Nail Bay, especially with a 15 year old. It's simply too far removed from everything else on the island. And it's not (imo) "removed" in a handsome way, i.e. on some gorgeous unspoiled part of the island. The road to it is a mess and the route is not at all attractive. (Reminded us of Costa Rica--which we loved in CR, but would just as soon avoid in VG.) I don't think the place itself is very attractive either. Mainly, there's simply nothing to do there, not even anywhere pleasant to walk to-- and restaurants are a big haul. I don't think you'd be happy at Leverick either. There's no real beach, no real snorkeling, unless one takes a boat out. Spring Bay/Guavaberry is your best bet, esp with your granddaughter. And my memory is that there are many many options there-- many different kinds of villas in different price categories.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM

ejcrowe, we did not go to nail bay so can't help you there. We walked thru the guavaberry area/complex to get to spring bay and can vouch for the beach. It is beautiful (was quiet when we were there), clear water with the bath type boulders on the beach. It also is very close to the center of town, restaurants etc. Also quick drive to get to Savannah and Mahoe from that area.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the input, poss and mnag. I've already written off Leverick Bay as not being well-suited for our wants on this trip. If we return with a different granddaughter who wants water skiing and parasailing, it would be a different story!

I'm sorry to hear that Nail Bay isn't as gorgeous in person as it lives in my imagination. I know websites can be *extremely* deceiving, but the Nail Bay site makes the physical site look heavenly.

I need to go ahead and make a decision soon, I suppose, otherwise all of the villas I'm considering will no longer be available!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:15 AM

Try Sandy Bottom ,Boulderdash,I think they are resonable priced and worth every penny
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM

I've also been exploring rental options on Virgin Gorda -- and found this site which offers some possibilites for consideration.

http://www.priorityproperty.com/runaway.htm

Prices are lower than villas in Mahoe -- and I think the locations are better than Nail Bay and/or Leverick. But I don't know for sure so if others have first hand experience please chime in.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM

cm318 - I sent an email to these folks several days ago re: our June visit... haven't heard back from them yet.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM

I think that you really want Fischers Cove Resort....I've stayed at Nail Bay and other places mentioned and frankly...given your criteria----you need Fishchers..

Its a family owned resort for many years....great food...can arrange all the activities you want...you wontneed a rental car unlike nail Bay and others...

here is the site:
http://www.fischerscove.com/