Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just booked 8 nights at Mango Bay Resort on Virgin Gorda, what to know?

Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have never been to the BVI before but loved St. John and are really looking forward to exploring Virgin Gorda. We'll be there for 8 days at the end of April, staying at Mango Bay Resort, and we will have a car. Any tips on best beaches, snorkeling, restaurant, hikes, etc.? Suggestions would be very much appreciated! We are both very much into photography and are really just looking forward to some major downtime. Are there any good books about the island that anyone would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM

The "best' snorkeling on VG is right outside your door at Mango Bay Resort (actually the bay is known as Mahoe Bay and there's a double reef system that begins about 150' off shore and runs the entire length of the 3/4 mile long bay. Other spots to snorkel directly from the beach are Pond Bay, Savannah Bay, Nail Bay (all fairly close to where you are staying) plus Spring Bay, The Baths and Devil Bay. (These are also some of the best swimming beaches on the island). Also, consider taking a day snorkel trip to the Caves on Norman Island, the reefs off of the Dog Islands or the reef off of Necker Island.

A hike to Gorda Peak is a must for the best views on the island and you'll find some decent hiking trails between Savannah Bay and Little Dix Bay Resort. Be sure to explore the boulder formations at The Baths and take a short hike around abandoned Copper Mine. You'll find interesting places & things to photograph all over the island - you'll be limited only by your imagination. Retaurants you might like include The mine shaft, Chez Bamboo, Pusser's, Little Dix Bay (they have a very good buffet dinner one night a week but it is pricey, Biras Creek (upscale), Rock Cafe, Top of the Baths, the restaurant at Leverick Bay and The Bath & Turtle.
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 03:43 AM

www.bvitourism.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html

careful with TA though lots of fake/touts

The Baths my fav beach a magical place... unless high season.

Happy Journey,·
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 04:52 AM

Def. go to Savannah Bay...all those Bays are really beautiful. Pond Bay...watch for the cow pies!

Didnt care for the Baths...touristy..have to pay to enter...very crowded...loved Spring Bay right next door. No people!!

We didnt hike...just limed on the beaches.

We love VG. Still unspoiled. Have fun!

Peace, Greenie
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Lisa,
I am so envious! We stayed at Mango Bay (#6) in April 2010 and loved it. You have already gotten very good advice here but I will add that we did a day snorkel trip with Double D Charters to the Indians, the caves, the wreck of the Rhone and had lunch at Willy T - it was a great day and I would highly recommend it!
In addition to some of the restaurants already mentioned, we also liked the restaurant at Nail Bay- forgot the name of it- and it was very convenient to MB. The sunset at the Mineshaft Restaurant is not to be missed - we had a good breakfast one day at the Top of the Baths and the view was beautiful. Go to the Baths right when they open in the morning- maybe 8:30 of 9 (anyone remember for sure?)- to avoid the day tripper crowds.
Drive to Leverick Bay in the daylight and enjoy the gorgeous views along the way-
Have a great trip!
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great tips so far! We are so excited.

@ishkribbi -- what kind of unit was #6? We are in an oceanview one bedroom suite (all of the oceanfront units were already booked unfortunately). I am trying to keep my expectations reasonable because I realize we won't be right on the beach but I'm hoping we'll at least have a little glimpse of the water from our unit.

Our flight arrives in St. Thomas at 12:30 and the direct ferry to Virgin Gorda doesn't leave until 3:30 so we are going to have a little time to kill on St. Thomas...any suggestions? I was wondering if there's a grocery store around there so we can use the time to stock up on some things before we get on the ferry.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't provision until you get to VG as there's no advantage other than killing time. I'd focus on getting you and your bags to VG and shop over there.

I might stroll around a bit but my favorite is to get to the CA Ferry Terminal, go upstairs to La Petite TapRoom, head out onto the balcony overlooking the harbor and have a few painkillers while waiting for the ferry. Its REAL easy to kill a few hours there.

When you head over to The Baths, go as early as possible to beat the daysailers and cruise ship folks. Devil's Bay is a beaut of a beach but when it starts to fill up, head back toward Spanish Town and look for the sign for Spring Bay National Park (on the left). This is where you want to spend your beach day in The Valley.
Old Dec 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM

#6 is what you rented- a one bedroom oceanview- simply furnished but comfortable, plenty of room for 2 and a full kitchen- do you use TA? I don't usually write reviews but I wrote one in April 2010 that says something like "a little slice of heaven with a hammock"- I think I put a couple of photos on it. You can PM me from TA and I will send you some photos if you like.
I bet by the time you retrieve your luggage in STT and get a cab to town that you won't have to kill a lot of time. The ferry people will keep your bags for you and you can have a nice lunch and maybe walk around or shop a little. I think we had the same incoming flight time and left around then on a ferry although we went only as far as Roadtown for the night to catch the early morning ferry to Anegada where we stayed before going to VG.
I agree with dtstahl- I would wait until you get to VG to buy groceries or whatever- there are two well stocked and easy to get to grocery stores (more I am sure) where you can find what you need after you settle in at MB.
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

@ishkribbi -- I did read your review and saw your pics on TA -- I didn't realize there was only one oceanview one-bedroom suite. So I guess #6 it is! We really wanted oceanfront but unfortunately those are booked already, oh well.

So I will take everyone's advice and not worry about getting groceries until we get to VG.

Question -- we leave VG on a Sunday when the direct ferries are not running so I guess we'll have to change ferries on Tortola, but I am having trouble understanding the ferry schedules. Our flight from STT departs shortly after 3pm. What time should we leave VG and what ferries should we take?
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 05:26 AM

If I remember correctly, there were only 2 oceanfront units but I think there are more "oceanview" besides #6. Some of the suites have an outdoor kitchen (on the patio) and I was very specific about wanting an indoor kitchen- not sure how many have indoor and how many have outdoor ones.

We also left on a day when there were no direct ferries to STT- think it was a Monday or a Tuesday. Gino at MB advised us which ferry to take and it worked out well. We left VG in the morning- maybe 8 or so (?)and when we got to Road Town we went across the street to a tiny little place Gino recommended and had breakfast outdoors (the frittata was wonderful), looked around in a couple of shops then it was time for the next ferry to STT. We had some time to kill in ST but walked around, shopped a little then had some lunch- think you are supposed to be at the airport around 1:30 or so. The one thing I would do differently is about storing our luggage- we asked the ferry people if there was a place to store it and the guy they pointed us to was actually part of the cab company, I think, and he kept telling US what time we needed to be at the airport and when to come back for the bags. We decided later to go on to the airport a little earlier, went back to the office (in the same bldg. as the ferry) and it was locked and he was gone to lunch or something. We had some anxious minutes - along with another couple who had done the same thing- before they found him to come unlock the storage room to get our bags.
Anyway, ask Gino about the ferry and do what he recommends- the car rental company got us just to leave the car at the ferry and they picked it up later- no problems there.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Also, I was wondering whether anyone knows if there are any good books specifically on Virgin Gorda (like the Pam Gaffin book about St. John called "Feet, Fins, and Four Wheel Drive" or Gerald Singer's "St. John Beach Guide"). I already have the Fodors VI guidebook, was looking for something more VG specific on hiking trails, snorkel sites, etc.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Lisa,
Are you familiar with traveltalkonline.com? The BVI forum there is very active and helpful. I know I have seen this asked and answered before but I can't think of specific titles to give you. You might ask there.