Virgin Gorda? Bequia? Tobago?

Oct 17th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Virgin Gorda? Bequia? Tobago?

I'm looking for a quiet island for a week or 10 days in January or February. I'm travelling with my boyfriend and my best friend... Ideally we would like a two bedroom villa either on the beach or a short walk, with food/drink available, but basically just a quiet beautiful beach and a nice place to hang out and read, chill, play scrabble, swim... Ideally no more than 400 US/night. We could also do a small hotel or inn, if the price and atmosphere were right.

I'm looking at Fischer's Cove and Paradise Beach Resort on VG, and Moonhole on Bequia.... any reviews of these, or suggestions for other islands that might suit us? We don't need nightlife, but it'd be nice to have a restaurant or quiet bar to hang out in in the evenings...

any suggestions appreciated! thanks!
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:14 PM

I think you're on the right track with Virgin Gorda. It's a beautiful island and very laid back. Look at the two-bedroom suites at Leverick Bay, for example. Another good choice in the BVI is Cooper Island Beach Club. Very relaxing. Good restaurant and bar, right on the beach. It might be a little too quiet for ten days, although. it gets lively at night, when all the yachties come in.
Oct 18th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Moonhole in Bequia has its charms, especially privacy, but most villas are steeply above beaches, rather than on them.

The nearest village, Paget Farm, is a great place to buy fresh fish and (in season) lobster, but grocery, and restaurant facilities are really very limited. There are lots of bars in the village but you may find they don't have the kind of atmosphere you are looking for.

The closest bar to Moonhole is called 'the first and last' because it is the first bar on the road from Moonhole going to Paget Farm and it is the last on the road out from the Airport. Although a simple operation, the service is friendly and they will do BBQ dinners on request. If you want them to be open in the evening, it's wise to let them know. Take a torch (flashlight) for the walk back to Moonhole.

Hook up with a fellow called Michael Bynoe. His family runs a small grocery store (tinned goods mostly)at the top of the hill in Paget Farm. Michael runs a service called Michael Tours which takes people on day trips over to the small islands near Bequia. He is a great tour guide and very informed about the island.

IMHO $400US per night is way over the top for Bequia even if that is what the villa owners are asking.
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:27 AM

Another island that might be very suitable for you is Anguilla. As for the hotel, I would recommend looking into the Rendezvous Bay Beach Hotel. Very quiet low-key place, right on a fantastic beach. Games room with table tennis and lending library. Very friendly staff and an excellent restaurant. Check it out, we have and will be staying there next summer.
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Here are a couple of other 'must do's' if you choose Moonhole. Visit Jeff Gregg's rumshop in Paget Farm for a shot of 'the Missile', followed very quickly by a gulp of water. It's a tourist ritual. Jeff can tell you wonderful stories about the early days of Moonhole, in which he was a key player.

Also visit Sam and Donna McDowell at their home/gallery in Paget Farm called 'Banana Patch'. Sam makes scrimshaw that has an international reputation; Donna makes painstaking seashell art (Sailors' Valentines) which is considered excellent by those who like this kind of work
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Definitely go to Virgin Gorda, it has plenty of what you are looking for! Fisher's Cove is a nice, small, private hotel, nice food, a bar and a beach in front of the hotel. Other beautifull beaches and bars are close by. Paradise Beach is a 10 min drive by car from Spanish Town, it's not a hotel, but beach houses. Beautifull beach (Mahoe Bay), but no bars. You might want to check out Guavaberry Spring Bay as well.
Regine/KATITCHE POINT GREATHOUSE