Bahamas (non-Nassau) help needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a 6 night vacation to the Bahamas. While we love luxury accomodations and to be pampered- they are not a major necessity- especially since we are on a budget right now. The Four Seasons is out of the picture- unfortunately.

We like modern amenities such as a.c., tv, bathrobes. We want to be right on the beach where we will be brought frosty drinks. Decent food at the hotel is important, as is room service. We are looking to just relax for 6 nights- not in need of crazy nightlife- but maybe a nice hotel bar. A beautiful beach and nice pool area are a MUST. Where should we go?
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Short of the Four Seasons, you will be hard-pressed to find all of what you seek in the Out Islands, save perhaps in Harbour Island or Treasure Cay(of which I have no experience, so I can't say for sure).

In the course of my visits (1 to Eleuthera, 2 to Cat Island, and 5 to the Abacos -- some of which include stays at what are considered the better properties in the island group) I have found this much:

- AC is pretty available (but I personally prefer to go without, and often choose places without it)
- I've never stayed anywhere with TV in the rooms (the Abaco Inn had it in the bar)
- Bathrobes nowhere to be seen
- Plenty of beach bars, where you get (or even mix) your own drinks, but no servers walking to beach to take your order
- Decent food at many places, but I don't know of any place that has room service
- A few places with pools, but with the gorgeous beaches available, they are not the main attraction

What you will find in the Out Islands is peace and quiet, and a lively bar or two (depending on the night). You'll find spectacular beaches with nary a soul in sight. A handful of like-minded travelers. Charming -- but oftentimes bare bones -- accomodations. The luxury comes from the quiet and the closeness to nature, not from marble baths and spa pedicures.

With that context, some of the finer properties in the Out Islands include the following:

- Hawks Nest and Fernandez Bay Village on Cat Island (FBV is my personal favorite, but quite rustic)
- The Bluff House, Green Turtle Club, and Abaco Inn in the Abacos
- Tiamo and Kamalame Cay in Andros
- Staniel Cay Yacht Club in Exuma
- Cape Santa Maria and Stella Maris on Long Island

Most hotels and inns in the Out Islands are very small, with 20 or fewer rooms. It's all about being barefoot casual. If that will make you happy, then go for it!

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Most of the outislands are pretty laid back and since most of the hotels are on the small side (30 rooms and under) room service is not usually available.

The only place I can think of that might have most of what you are looking for on Harbour Island is Coral Sands (www.coralsands.com) and on Eleuthera, Cocodimama (www.cocodimama.com).

I think what you are looking for might be easier found in Florida or some of the larger carribean islands a bit further down.

The outislands are all about laid-back comfortable settings, with excellent food and amazing beaches, and peace and quiet and a few bars for evening entertainment.

You also might try www.myharbourisland.com and www.eleu.net
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM

You might try Old Bahama Bay on Grand Bahama Island. I know it isn't what one might think of when describing a quiet vacation but OBB is on the West End and is nothing like Freeport. Luxury accomodations, an upscale restuarant, a nice bar, great pool area, fantastic beach bar and a killer beach that you'll feel like you have all to yourself. You might even get to see John Travolta who owns a condo there. There is fantastic snorkeling on all sides of the resort as well. My husband and I have been twice and you'll feel like you are on an out island with the luxuries of an upscale spot. One note...it is very quiet and is a 30+ minute drive to Freeport for more action. I'd say it has everything on your list otherwise.

One little comment...the drive along a governemnt owned road to the resort itself is not pretty. But once you get there the view of the empty horizon from the beach is unreal.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM

meant to mention that you can usually find a good deal on luxurylink.com for Old Bahama Bay!